Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure this one out. I was in the middle of belt break in and decent snow conditions. Went out about 12-15 miles and.the first shut down occured through a whoops section at maybe 5-10mph. Started back up and made my way to a smooth section maybe 500ft later and it shut down again. Took a few pulls to start but it started up went to the gas station filled up.

pulled the panels off and couldn't see anything or oil around the pipe support, thinking the pipe ceacked.

turned around and went home, got to the jct near my house and it was fine before those 12-15 miles on the way back so I said "fortune favors the bold." So I hit the farm fields and a "brisk pace" for about 10 miles turbed around and started heading back.

AAfter a mile a shut off. Second pull it almost started but it was dead after that. Waited about 10-15mins and then it started up and made it back home.

Junior wanted to go out so we then headed out for about another 10 miles but I got one bog so we turned around and made it home.

it runs fine most of the time but I haven't taken it out very far yet. I did adjust the tss today as I noticed it was tight. I took it out today and ran it hard for a few short miles but no shut down. Tested compression and it was fine.

so any suggestions or was it the tss? All shut downs happened when it was moving.

· Premium Member
2,568 Posts
If it was a fuel pick up or smart valves, the issue would have gone away when you filled the tank.

I think you are on the right track. I would start with the Throttle safety switch like you have and rule that out first.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was a fuel pick up or smart valves, the issue would have gone away when you filled the tank.

I think you are on the right track. I would start with the Throttle safety switch like you have and rule that out first.
I adjusted it more tonight and will take it out this weekend but the nagging feeling in the back of my head.

Why did it shut off the third time and take awhile to start back up? Once it cooled down for a out 10-15mins it was fine and junior and I took it around for about 10 miles.

· Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
Friend of mine had a similar issue on his cfr800. Tested all the electronics and even ran the engine with everything disconnected. They zeroed in on the stator. Once it warmed up it would kill the engine. Cool down it would start right back up.
Been there.
Had one on a zuke that would crap output at high rpms when warm. Sled ran fine until stator got heated up good.
One thing though, mine didn't completely die. It dropped voltage enough to run terrible and cut out. If I let it cool down, the sled ran good for a bit.
Nightmare to diagnose. Spent time working with the dealer trying to replicate the problem. I had a NS1 gauge and put voltage front and center so we could see it drop.

Reactions: WIredneck01

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So went out and did 18 miles and beat the heck out of it over those 18 miles or 47mins (ran it hard). I watched the voltage and it didn't drop over those below 14 when running it hard. It didn't shut off that time.

So I brought it home and did some work for about 10-15mins and went to start it up and got a no start but I could feel it want to go. After the fifth pull it started up.

So yeah...

· Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
Crud. Dang tough call. Good news is no voltage drop so it sorta narrows out the stator.
I know this sounds silly, but how are the reeds? I go on and on about them, but the symptoms can creep up. I had so many go, that I knew the sound after awhile.

The intermittent nature is a tough diagnosis. You are going down the right path.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't looked at the reeds and will likely do that in the spring. I didn't see any massive broken ones looking in the airbox but don't know the tip condition.

If I'm going in that deep I'm putting the mainway bushing kit in.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welp hard to start after running around for a little bit, repeatedly. Looks like I will be working on reeds.

Vforce 3 or just replacement petals? Dennis Kirk has vf3 for $230, replacement petals

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got it torn down to the point where I can see the reeds and yep there is a missing one on the pto side. What a pain this job is to do. I also tried to remove the steering post but the nut is just spinning so that is going to be fun to take out considering it is loose and I want to do the mainway bushing install.

· Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
I'm actually glad it was the reeds. At least you have a known cause.
Which gasket are you referring? The seating gaskets in the first picture look like they might be ****ed.
I've used a number of different brands. The Carbontech reeds sound a little crisper. I would have a hard time verifying that they produced any more power. The motor seemed to breath well, but that's probably relative to replacing the broken petals. Lifespan seemed similar to stock.

For other riders that are wondering about reeds possibly going. The motor sounds different as they go. You will hear a deeper air/breathing sound with hard throttle. I describe it as the motor sucking air that you can hear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts