Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 zrt 800,with bored carbs ..How many jets do i need to add .my stock carbs were 450. I tried 490 and its idleing pretty high,,i also noticed the middle cylinder wascooler than the other two.. Do i need to try jetting up or down. or is it idle adjusting??thank u for your time..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure on what sizes u should be starting at but main jets won't effect idle could be an idle adjustment could be an air leak like crank seals or carb boots did it start after putting carna on its hard to say without knowing more info you could spray brake clean around crank seals and carbs boots to check for an air leak

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there r miner cracks in the boots. just checked for leaks with carb cleaner on the boots, didnt see anything strange,,but what am i trying to see exactley will the motor run alot different when sucking the carb cleaner?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure on what sizes u should be starting at but main jets won't effect idle could be an idle adjustment could be an air leak like crank seals or carb boots did it start after putting carna on its hard to say without knowing more info you could spray brake clean around crank seals and carbs boots to check for an air leak
by the way i set my air idle screws 1.5 turns out,and my slides n throttle cables work goood. could it be the choke setting?

·
Registered
141 Posts
With carb or brake cleaner u should see a change in rpm if its sucking air, does it idle high as soon as u Start it? And stay high or is it after driving it idles high. If choke was out it would cause rpm to drop as it would be dumping more fuel in. Are the carbs synced, as in are they opening AND closing at same time and equally?? 1.5 on mixture screws on bored carbs might be a little off I'm thinking closer to 2 but hard to say. I would turn idle down till about 2000 and recheck for leaks with carb cleaner. Those cracks aren't a good sign if not all the way through, some people spread rtv sealant over them as a temporary fix. Once idle is set turn your mixture screws out about 1/8th each at a time till idle sped increases and is even then go back an 1/8th thats how I've done all my sleds anyways works for me. Posting from phone so sorry for grammer and spelling lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts