Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 ZRT 600 and I have always liked the tripple but would like to go with somehing bigger. I was wondering how much fabricating it would take to switch to a ZRT800 or 900 or even a twin 800 engine. I have fairly extensive mechanical background and could handle the minor problems. I really like the sled though I just want a little more power.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
MattZRT, welcome call to ArcticChat! :chug:

What model year of ZRT do you have?

You won't have to fabricate much, because all the parts can already be obtained... All it takes is off the shelf OEM parts. Used or new, the parts are out there. The 600/800/900/1000 triples were used in common AWS4-5 chassis. So engine mounting is compatible... Even for many of the twins that came in the AWS4-5 chassis.

I forget who it was that mentioned it... But you have to get the right jackshaft for the engine. Basically, the small block triple 600 uses a slightly shorter jackshaft, and the 800/900/1000 engines use a slightly longer one.

Other than the jackshaft, obviously you'll have to figure out connecting the wiring harness, ignition, fuel/plulse lines, etc.

Be sure to post some pics of your project once you get started! :chug:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I did basically the same mod/transplant in a 00' Triple Touring (zrt2). The only 2 parts that I didn't order was the jackshaft and the stubshaft behind the secondary.

If you are going to invest the time and $$'s into this sled, make a allowance for AG's front suspension swap. You'll never regret that mod!

P.S. When you have finalized all your choices, make 2 parts lists. One should be for the necessary new OEM parts from your local dealer, second one for the parts you can buy used off of ebay or swap meets. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
P.S.S. I had all of my OEM part numbers ready in hand when I walked into my local dealer, this earned me a decent discount right off the bat. This also built strong friendships with the people in the Parts Dept., when I ran into the jackshaft & stubshaft issue they ordered the parts without the usual pre-pay policy. Just a pointer that I thought I'd pass onto you, plus a good person behind the Parts Dept. counter can save you time and $$'s.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I wanted more power I wouldnt go through all that trouble (and I wouldnt know how) but I would just buy one, U can get the same year prolly for an extra 100 dollars than wat u bought urs for. Like I have a 96 zrt 600 too and theres a 800 for sale in the paper for $1800 I got mine for $1500 but I didnt feel like going through all the problems I had with this one again. But the point is if u want a bigger engine just buy a new sled :p Unless of course u already have the motor or got a good deal on it or something than its worth it. :p Thats my 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts