Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1998 ZRT 800/900 reverse chaincase oil leaking through chaincase cover vent hole??? I have searched/read numerous posts on this on ACC & HCS going back 10+ years with mixed results.

So the background......chaincase fully serviced with brand new OEM AC upper & lower bearings with inner race o-rings & updated top bearing seal (#2602-229), & black oil resistant RTV around the splines & dropcase studs for insurance, retainer plate o-rings brand new & nuts torqued to specs. 12onces lube per AC manual for reverse chaincase. Brand new cover seal & not pinched. Reverse adjusted using OEM AC reverse adjustment tool. OIL IS NOT leaking from any of these places. I know it's the weep hole as when I stop after a good tilt, I open the hood & can see it actually leaking/dripping out if the weep hole & down the cover. The weep hole cover plate is there with all 6 tiny self tappers & the cover has steps in it so the oil shouldn't migrate up easily to the hole. OEM AC or Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil used & not straight 80 or similar weight oil.

Is there an updated cover or perhaps RTV added to the plate cover as maybe the plate doesn't seal 100% when on?? Perhaps ATF fluid as its lighter. How much pressure when warmed up & next to the hot muffler does the chaincase build? Auggie may have had a solution.

Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated. Thx, Alex.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
every reverse we ran atf broke the chains less than 1,500 miles.
once we switched to ams oil with graphite no more broken chains.
any pictures of your weep hole cover plate

it has been awhile but i remeber something was amiss with some of them, a picture may jar the memory, or a sharp stick might too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of photos of my chaincase. The weep hole can be seen towards the top. After a good haul/rpm trail or lake ride, its leaking out this hole.....no where else. The other photo is from Auggie's post on HCS & shows the weep hole cover plate. The one on the left is apparently the "upgraded" one from Arctic Cat (#1602-151) that solved his problem. I believe I have the same "upgraded" plate & is still leaking. At a loss here. Is 12onces per AC manual still too much for reverse chaincase? I put in exactly 12ounces & don't go by the dip stick. Are there different dipsticks? Thx.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Rim
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design
Rectangle Font Gadget Wood Communication Device

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is a couple of pics what it looks like inside the cover. It's not mine, but exact same case cover. I'm up north at the cottage & it's -25C (-14F) outside now, so a bit cold to work on it. You can see where the plate goes, the vent hole, & "steps" to supposedly "prevent" oil from migrating easily up. Perhaps when running higher rpm's, the hole is close to the top gear, & close to the muffler......this heats the case up & builds pressure. No clue! Drill the weep hole slightly bigger to relieve the pressure more? Or this will make it worse? Like others have said......very frustrating!
Bumper Auto part Metal Automotive exterior Tool
Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
So when your plate is on you have the hole towards the bottom?
Does your improved plate hole bevel face into case or the oil ladder?
Maybe silicone the plate to the case to ensure oil only gets to the case vent by going up the ladder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes. Plate vent hole is towards the bottom & not 100% sure if I have the updated plate version, but I think I do when I installed it earlier. Too cold out to work on it & doubled check.

I was thinking RTV the plate cover as well. Maybe doesn't seal 100% with just the 6 tiny self tapper screws & leaks around the perimiter of the plate when heated up & builds pressure instead of just the plate hole & up through the ladder/steps. Didn't realize the chaincase heats up THAT MUCH & pressurizes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after sitting out overnight at -25c, you can see the oil trail from the hole & down the cover. Probably after a ride last night, the chaincase heated & pressurized & leaked out gradually overnight.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Headlamp
Water Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Yepper weeping from there.
we have only one with reverse here, it has the old plate, the hole is on the bottom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well!! It appears I may have found my problem. Was finally able to take my chaincase cover off & look at the vent plate. I do in fact have the older or "non-updated" plate. I thought I had the updated version (#1602-151) when I assembled it. Will now try & source one, install it, & see how she goes, & report back should others have the same problem. Shout out to Auggie for his previous posts on this subject. Thx, Alex.
Telephone Gas Auto part Machine Font
Communication Device Gadget Grey Wood Portable communications device
Grey Wood Font Snow Gadget

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
I think I may have told you on the phone to drill it out, got that backwards. Need a smaller hole. If you can't find one, you can always weld and re drill it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies Auburn & Tcat. Still trying to source one locally. There was a huge snow storm here & not wise to travel as crews are still working on clearing the roads/hwys, so might as well tinker in the garage. I was thinking of making a new plate out of steel I have laying around. My plate is roughly......4.17" long / 1" wide / & .055" thick. The vent hole on the plate is .375" (3/8") in diameter. I'm pretty sure I can make the plate, but what I don't know, is the diameter of the hole on the updated (#1602-151) plate. Looking at the photos, it is definitely smaller than .375" (3/8").......maybe .25" (1/4")? So what I was thinking was to drill a smaller hole, then use a punch that has a bevel on it (ie. center punch or similar) to create the proper diameter "dimple", then file it down to the approximate height according to the photo. It seems pretty logical that whole purpose of the updated plate with smaller, dimpled hole (facing the chain), is what helps prevent oil from migrating up the chaincase ladders & out the vent hole. Per Auggie, it solved his vent hole leak. Does anyone have the diameter of the update plate hole? Thx, Alex.

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
So what I was think was to drill a smaller hole, then use a punch that has a bevel on it (ie. center punch or similar) to create the proper diameter "dimple", then file it down to the approximate height according to the photo.

Worth a try for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Okay. So tinkered away & here is my plate. Still have to refine it a bit. My old plate vent hole was flat & about .375" (3/8") in diameter. My new one has the dimple & hole is about .242" (just under a 1/4")...... so .133" or just over 1/8" smaller. Plate thickness is thinner at .0275", which is about half the original as it was hard to create the dimple & cut it with the thicker steel with the tools at my disposal at the moment. Going to add some Permatex black oil resistant RTV to the perimeter of the plate, blue lock tight on the 6 self tappers.....& let it set properly.
Wood Grey Rectangle Denim Gas
Wood Grey Tints and shades Electric blue Denim
Brown Wood Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory
Sky Hood Cloud Automotive lighting Azure
Snow Automotive tire Freezing Asphalt Slope
Wood Grey Rectangle Gas Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Audio equipment Gas Electric blue Automotive exterior Metal
Automotive tire Helmet Tire Bumper Motor vehicle
Also.....cross my fingers!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts