Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the thread says - its been very tempremental. 96 ZRT 800. Trigger coil has been replaced, running 480 jets with PSI pipes, clutch has been perfectly aligned, belt is in good shape. Carbs have been checked/cleaned - any ideas? I have a feeling it could be the coil and maybe a bit too much fuel?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Your missing alot of info.. but.. here is my steps to diagnose an issue

1. Drain gas tank completly
2. Remove carbs
3. Take the carbs completly apart and soak components in carb cleaner. Inpect parts for wear. Put them back together exactly as the shop manual or owners manual states. Also make sure the components are the same (same jets and stuff)
4. Take reeds off and inpect
5. Take fuel pump off and inpect
6. While you have that all off, look inside at the pistons (pull rope a little bit and use a mirror if neccessary)
7. Install new plug wires and plug caps for the heck of it
8. Install new fuel line everywhere and a new fuel filter
9. Install reeds
10. Install carbs and make sure they are synced
11. Install chokes and adjust. Remember, the lever must have 3mm clearance from the base of the lever to the part it prys off from. This is very important as it was just an issue on my sled. If there is no clearance, you think your choke is off, but its still partly on which will flood that cylinder at low rpms especially.
12. Inpect fuel tank vent tube and make sure the tank is venting
13. Install carb boots (make sure there are no cracks allowing air to enter thru them (between carb and air box)
14. Inspect the little brass fuel filter thats in the tank and make sure there isn't a little water in there that froze and is partially clogging it.
15. Fill tank with whatever your manual says.
16. Install new plugs (get the ones that have a fixed cap. Maybe a NGK BR9EYA. I am not sure what your sled takes.)

Now.. you got it all back together and everything is up to snuff and in spec. Before you start the sled you may need to put a little gas in the cylinders (since the carbs are empty). Is the idle ok? If not, adjust the idle screws accordingly.. moving them out will bring idle down, moving them in will bring idle up.

If its still not running right..
1. Check compression
2. Ohm test your coil(s)
3. Ohm test your stator parts (mine has coil one and coil two, I have a triple)

If them test are ok then redo your grounds with a sandpaper and reinstall grounds.

I listed them things in that order because I am assuming you have bypassed your throttle sensor and your carb switches.

I am not sure if your sled is the same as mine, but on mine you can bypass alot of electrical components by installing that bypass plug that came with your sled, into the stator wires. Its a square plug. Search the forum for stator bypass and you will see pictures and more information on that. If you do that, you will have no lights and you can't shut off the sled unless you choke it out or pull a plug wire. If doing this fixes your problems, then your problem is electrical and in one of the components that got bypassed in by the test.

Welcome to online and the sledding community.. and remember.. don't just take info. give it out after you learn it and help others :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Not sure what jetting you need for those pipes, but I put 410 mains in my ZRT 800 with stock pipes. Theoretically that should only affect 3/4 to full throttle tho.

A common problem is the Throttle safety switch as well. Check out the pinned topic and the top of this forum for some info on it.

I find stuck choke plungers another fairly common one if you think your problem might be fuel related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looks like its the stator. Atleast the year is done and I'll have to find one over the summer. Just wanted to thank you guys for your help! Anyone from Southwestern Ontario know of any place to buy a stator or get one re-wound?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I personally would stay away from RMstator in Quebec. I have a spare you could throw in if you wanted to double check before forking out $300. My Mother in Law lives in Cambridge, I'm sure we'll be up there before snow falls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Kev, thanks alot man, that would be awesome. Just keep me posted as to when in the spring/summer/fall or whatever would be good for you. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks again for the offer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts