Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the board, so howdy from southeast idaho.

Ive got a idea rattling in my head, I would like some opinions and advice before I attempt it. I have a extra zrt 600 triple engine sitting that needs a top end. Since it needs rebuilt, I thought i might experament with putting 800 cylinders, heads, pistons and rings on the 600 crank and cases. Since I dont have the 800 stuff, I dont even know if its possible for them to bolt together. I know that the bottom end of the 800 is totally differant than the 600. I also know that putting 800 top end on a 600 bottom will not give me a 800. I probably wont be reliable either, I just want to see if its possable and will run. Any ideas on the cc output would be? Is this worth spending any money on?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I Honestly dont think they will fit. The motors are way different. The 600 was kinda by its lonesome. The 800 ZRT is the same as the 900 and 1000 Tcat so any of that stuff would work.
IF you put your mind to it anything can be done. Something cat makes gotta interchange on that 600 zrt maybe 500 jugs or 600 jugs off a ZR Have to measure the bolt pattern see what works. Then figure out what its got for stroke.
I know for a fact you can find horse power in that motor. That motor for a tripple could really rip if you could clutch it and pipe it HINT push some air into that motor.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The 600 is a smaller block then the 800's or even the twins. I'm not sure what cylinders could actually bolt up to it. Seems people oversize the 600 cylinders to get more out of it, but even that isn't a whole lot more. Probably easier to drop an 800 in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats pretty much what I thought, It was just an idea I had, just wondered if it was a good one. I dont have any 800 jugs to measure, but I think your all right. physiclly different and I think the stroke would also be an issue.

As for pipes, I have never had good luck keeping an engine together with pipe, even worse luck with a piped triple. I'm on a fresh engine anyway, less than 200 miles on it. It runs pretty good, still needs a bit of clutch tuning and rear suspension setup a bit more. I have triple cans on stock pipes, and a stock airbox. I think the only mods I'm going to make is UFO's and maybe some boyesen reeds. It just needs a bit more snap on the bottom.

As for the engine swap, its a 97 zrt. Its just to heavy and outdated to try and make a mountain sled out of. Even with simmons skis, a 159 2" track, 6" risers on mountain bars, and $2200 worth of custom paint, it will never be a m8 or a rev. So I dont think a engine swap would justify the cost and time vs buying something newer and more capable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts