Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 zrt 600 and i have 8000 miles on it.When i bought it it had 5500 miles. I dont know if the motor was done or not.
The machine runs beautiful but i was wondering how much compresion this sled is to have.
Some one told me that it is a low compression engine.I checked it and it has just under 100 psi in every cylnder.
Show i give it a ring job or should i just wait.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
When you check compression make sure you hold the throttle open. My ZRT 600 has about 112 in each cylinder.
If they are still under 100 you may want to think about rings this summer. You will also need to make sure your jug and piston tolerances are still within spec.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Uner 100psi is low for that motor, they should be around 120psi. Try another gauge if possible and like Wayne said were you holding the throttle open also how many pulls were you going?
If you plan on keeping for a while more might as well make a fesh top end a summer project, espiecally if compression is under 100. That way you wont loose any riding time come winter if it does end up failing on you.
The 600 triple engine I've found to be very reliable, my 99 had 4000+ miles and still held just under 120pis in all 3 cylinders and started and ran great. A couple weeks ago I ran into the guy that bought my brothers old 2000 ZRT 600 and that sled now has over 8000 miles and never had the motor touched and still runs like new Rockerdude

·
Registered
12 Posts
my 2000 zrt has 8600 miles and has never been opened up! Still runs great and is reliable. And still sounds great with that triple rumble from the stock exhaust!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the info i will try it again with the throdle open and see what it has.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it aint broke, dont fix it. If the sled starts good and makes good power there is nothing you can do to make that better. Read the posts on this board where half the rebuilds have ended in some form of ruined parts because human hands have touched them. If everything is holding up consider yourself fortunate and ride that sled for another 8000 miles off into the sunset. I actually talked to some guys at the novi snomobile show that had 15,000 miles on zrt 600,s. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Heres my 2 cents i bought a 96 zrt with 10,240 on it and it had new motor just installed by prev owner. i got the old engine too and spec'd it and all was in spec the only thing bad after 10k miles was the crank snapped from ice snow ice snow and wide open throttle. pistons and rings could be done; as these wear . ride the season out and Happy Wrenchin

·
Registered
110 Posts
8000+ Miles on my 01 ZRT 600, compression still 120 across all 3, haven't done a leakdown, motor never opened, cylinders look great as well. I'm tempted to re-ring, but it still runs strong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.