Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ZRT 800 it has been sitting for 2 years because the motor was blown. I recently rebuilt the motor and put it in the sled and tried starting it and found that i have no spark. I have checked the coils,kill switch, key ignition, ignition pickup. I have no idea what else to do when i pull it over the light comes on but seems dimmer then normal. Has anybody had this problem or have any other ideas on what i should check??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Throttle safety system cdi or stator, i would start with the throttle sensors, search this board this topic ocmes up all the time, you need to disable the throttle saftety switches and bypass it, then see if you get spark.

dan

·
Registered
780 Posts
When you pull the starter cord, does the headlight light up? If not; think bad stator.

Now an easy test; check out this tech article --> http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27548 and unplug that connector and see if you get spark.

Since you have two ignition coils, I'd suspect that they are okay. Possibly the CDI box, but this is a "replace only" item, with no really good way to test. Perhaps if you have a buddy with a similar sled you could swap the CDI out, but if not, it is an expensive part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i pull the sled over the light does come on but it seems really dead compared to when i pull on my other sleds. You have to really put your eye up to it to see the light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have also already tried unplugging the tss switch and that didnt do anything. Could it be the voltage regulator someone told me this but it didnt sound right.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bennett582004 @ Jan 23 2007, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have also already tried unplugging the tss switch and that didnt do anything. Could it be the voltage regulator someone told me this but it didnt sound right.[/b]
Forget about the voltage regulator. Has nothing to do with spark. Make sure grounds are all good from the CDI box and the Stator to the engine case. Play with the eyelets to make sure the wire under the insulation isn't corroded away.

On older sleds you can bypass all the handle bar switches, I don't know if it works on newer ignition systems. Maybe someone can chime in if they know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone tell me how to check my stator. All i can find is how to check them with 3 wires coming off of them and mine has 4 wires coming off. If someone could tell me how that would be great.
Thanks
lance

·
Registered
87 Posts
The stator on that machine is divided into two generators.

One for electrical acc. (lights, hot grips, etc.) and one for ignition system only and are not connected in any way. When you pull the cord and the lights light up it only means the lighting section of the stator assy is working and will not verify that the ignition coils on the stator are working.

Unplug the harness down by the recoil and do the following tests with an OHM meter on the engine side of the harness.

Charge coil #1
Red lead to Black/Red wire, Black lead to Green/Red wire = 12 to 18 OHMS

Charge coil #2
Red lead to Brown/White wire, Black lead to Green/Red wire = 12 to 18 OHMS

Trigger coil or Timing sensor
Red lead to Green/White wire, Black lead to Brown wire = 80.8 to 121.2 OHMS

That machine is a ground to run system and WILL NOT have spark if you unplug the harness from the chassis to the engine. You can unplug the harness and hot wire it (unplug only the the four wire plug, should be 2 yellow a black and a brown and leave CDI plugged in) put a jumper wire between the black and the brown and try it. If you then have spark the problem is on the chassis side of the wiring harness and probably just a switch. If still no spark you will know that the problem is in one of the ignition components or it's wiring.

Thank You for your time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a similar problem om my '96 ZRT600 a few years ago, my problem turned out to be the tether switch. Over the years, the rubber coating inside the switch got rubbed off the button that the screw inside the teather pushes on, so it wasn't pushed in quite enough to make contact when I plugged it in. I backed the screw out about 1 1/2 turns in the rubber plug and got spark back. Don't know if this is your problem or not, but worth checking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts