Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a couple of '96 ZRT 800's for a good price. My question is simple. What are the pros and cons of these sleds?I dunno I am going to build one for 500' grass and ice, the other I might either ride or sell, depends on the results I get here. I love the sound of a triple strung out! Yeah I know newer is better, but give me the money and I will go that route. Thanks in advance for the answers.

·
Registered
525 Posts
In some ways the older ones have better potential, especially in the suspension department. A newer skid is pretty easy to swap into the rear and the AGLT swap on the front suspension will yield a better riding/longer travel than most new sleds. There's a whole thread on it in the pinned topics section. Other than that do the waterpump seals on them before using them, if the seal leaks it dumps coolant into the counter balancer bearings and when the bearing comes apart it will destroy the engine cases. Just did mine on my TCat and glad I did, it had just a tiny bit of residue starting to build up in there. Not a hard job, just time consuming. I'd suggest ordering the stub shaft that drives the impeller while you're ordering parts unless you're prepared to lay the machine up if you have to order them. Mine had under 3000 miles on it but the shaft was pretty corroded.

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
these sleds are awesome for grass drags, have a buddy who has 2 that he races in the stock classes and kills everyone with only minor clutch work

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they are junk I will dispose of them properly by taking them to the nearest salvage yard and save the rest of the snowmobile world from them.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Pros: Easy/cheap to make go fast. Easy to work on. Lots of parts available. Chain and gears so easy to make clutching/gearing changes. Heck, people are swapping out the Driect Drive systems for chain and sprocket systems.

Cons: Heavy. Outdate suspensions. the years you're looking at are 15 years old or older..bearings, seals ect...can go bad. Water pump seals. Stator. TSS/kill switch and wiring harness can/do all go bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts