Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 zrt 800. I have good spark on all 3 plugs and it starts when gas is put in the cylinders directly but only burns up what is in the cylinders. There appears to be fuel flowing int the pump and looks like fuel is coming out. Can't seem to get to the bottom of the problem. Has electric start but the starter is burned up, doesn't disengage at all. All 3 carbs have been recently cleaned. I tried to figure out how to remove the fuel pump to get a closer look but can't seem to figure out how to get the carbs off lol. I'll probably go to the local dealer tomorrow and pick up a repair manual if they have any in stock.

I tried searching other threads but didn't seem to find what I was looking for. I'm pretty mechanical but still a novice with some things. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
407 Posts
All you need to do is loosen the clamps on the intake boot, push the airbox in and pull the carb out. The part of the airbox that the carbs sit in is a soft rubber and you can just push it back to get the carb out. Once you get the carbs out unbolt the coils and move them out of the way and just pull the airbox out toward tbe motor. You have to pull pretty hard to get it out. The fuel pump is under the airbox. Good luck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
No problem, I just went through mine on my 98 Tcat. I swapped out all new fuel lines and cleaned the carbs. Once you pull the carbs and clean them fill the bowls with fuel before you put them back in, after I reinstalled all the carbs I used a ketchup squeeze bottle with gas in it and put gas down every line before I hooked them up. Once you change the lines the motor needs to run long enough for the vacuum to start pumping from the tank.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Don't forget to test the line from the shut off to the inside tank pick up. With all the wonderful gas we have now a days its been known to ruin the line in the tank. See if it holds vacuum. Don't over look that or a cracked vacuum line to the crank case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the carbs off and got a better look. There definitely is fuel in all lines. Not sure if the pump has enough pressure anymore or what, is there a way to test it? Have a couple pics of what looks like breather lines coming from the bottom of the carbs with a plug. And another is one of the lines from the shutoff to the tank..has a bend in it not sure if that could be one if the causes.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it to fire up and run. Only starts with choke and it runs for about a minute when I shut the shoke off. Also cuts out when I add throttle. What could that be? Too much air comming in? There is a crack in the rubber boot for the air box.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
The crack in the boot from the air box won't hurt anything. Its when its on the other side of the carb is when you need to worry about leaning it out.

You probably have problems from the kinks in the line. They need shortened and fixed with new lines.

Have you by passed the throttle position sensors under the handle bars? Where are the idle mixture screws set at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.