Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an idea of what might be going on here. I pick up an 1996 ZRT600 this fall. Ran good when I bought it but it did take ten or so pulls to start. Of course the plugs were mismatched and pretty shot. Took it home and tried new plugs and it was still hard to start but it would start and run pretty well. So I did the usual, cleaned the carbs, needles and seats looked good, appeared to be synced, the choke circuts were clear, adjusted the coke (it was way loose!) took the fuel pump apart it looked good and appears to be pumping gas, new plugs, wires and boots (good spark). The exhaust does not seem plugged, and the air box looks good. I siphoned out the old gas put a few fresh gallons of 87 octane in and she ripped over in about 8 pulls. I figured that was pretty good seeing that the carbs were dry. I let it run for a good 10-15min or so, let it get warmed up, gave it a little gas on the stand and all seemed well. Shut 'er down and tried a warm start, and it started right up.

Now for the weird part. This morning I went out to see how she'd do after a nice cold night. Pulled over about three times then locked up half way through the 4th pull, kind of a bang with it too. Next pull was fine, two or so more were fine than the same thing. Every few pulls the reoil just locks up half way out and there's kind of a loud noise (I don't think it's a backfire, no smoke, not loud enough). I'm stumped. Could it be the recoil? Sticking rings. Anything I can do to test without tearing into it too much? Any help's appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I went back out there and started pulling it over at a steady moderate speed and it is back firing every few pulls. So I pulled the plugs and dryed them off, pulled it over with the cylinders open and the middle cylinder sprayed something - smoke or fuel - it was hard to tell. Put the plugs back in pulled it a couple of times, backfire. Pull two more times and it came back to life, albeit with a bit of a sputter at first, but it ran. Soooo I ask, why the back fire? What else can I do to diagnose it? Thought I'd mention it's got the stock jet setup with 360 mains etc. air screw turned out 3/4 (idles high with anymore).
Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Same deal with my brother in laws sled. 96 ZRT 600. He has V force reeds in it. Trying to pull her over is hell. Allways has been a pain to start. What we found with his was the reed cage has a little bit of rubber molded into the cage for the reed to seal against when closed. The rubber was missing and not sealing properly causing it to run on two rather than three. That is definately causing the 2 out of 3 prob. As far as the lock-up when pulling over after three or four pulls....not too sure on that one. Brother in laws sled does it too though.

Will check this post later and if we find anything we'll post also.

SPDFREEK

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. The needle and seats looked good. I looked through the plug holes to check out the pistons and everything was dry. Plus it pulls fine right after it locks up.
The reed thing is interesting though. I checked the reeds when I did the carbs because I put on new boots too and I don't recall seeing any rubber on the cages where the petals seal. Is that only for the V Force reeds or the stockers too. BTW how does your brother in laws mother respond with the V Forces, I've heard good and bad.
Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts