Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty. So another new problem and its not even snowing yet. Went out to start up and let my 96 ZRT600 run for a bit. After about 5 mins of run time. I turned the key off to kill it. Instead of it dieing it just went into a rough idle. Turned the key back on and the idle went smooth. Did this a second time and same thing...rough idle...no kill. So i left the key off and hit the kill switch and that did nothing either. So after finally getting it to die. I took the key out and tried to start it. Would not start. Key in the on position and it started fine. So confused. Wiring problem? Carb problem? And does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram online? All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had this happen. Clean the wire connections that are on the mag side of the motor. They are below the coolant tank. This was a recall on my 98 when it was new. The connections get wet and dirty and short out. If you clean them and put some dielectric grease in them this will cure your problems. coolant spilt out of the overflow will cause this problem.

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah you can try that first ,but I'm gonna tell you it is going to end up being your CDI I had that very same symptom and it was the cdi . For some reason those 96 's have cdi problems sometime in their lives . I changed mine and haven't had a problem since close to two thousand miles and couting . Now one other thing, they do make aftermarket cdi's but a wise alien ( :ag: ) told me to buy oem .You can find a used one at a salvage place for half the cost.
good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts