Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple things:

First:
- Still looking for center to center rod length for this. If anyone has access to a rod and has a vernier, please let me know.

Second:

- I see Wiseco makes a 5.5mm overbore piston kit for these little screamers. Turns out to be right at 750cc. Has anyone done this mod to their 6? I'll probably get comments like, you might as well get an 8, but I don't want the large bottom end or the counterbalance shaft not to mention the added weight (6's are heavy enough as it is). I also have several 6's laying around not doing anything but collecting dust. I thought it would be a cool sleeper with the 600 heads looking stock.

Any input is appreciated,
Waldo

·
Registered
146 Posts
My powder extreme had the 700 (696cc) big bore kit by black magic with Wiseco pistons. I've never heard of a 750 kit. Where can I find it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would probably just go with the 700cc setup if it were me. I know both AC and PSi were rating their 700 bigbores right around 150hp with their pipes. Going all the way to a 750 with just a bigbore might cause some excess heat and reliability issues, since the cylinder walls might be getting thin unless you're boring the entire cylinder out of it and putting in a bigbore sleeve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad - I looked again and it said it was a 700. I did a bunch of calcs right after I saw that, so I must have gotten 750 in my head from doing that.

I'll check out Black Magic and see what they have to say about the kit.

What has been the reliability with their 700 kit?

Thanks,
Waldo

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Wiseco 700 kit in my '97. I thought it would be great.........but found it takes alot more than a set of pistons. It will need to be re-clutched, the carbs all rejetted, the heads opened up to accept the larger bore. Make sure that whoever replates your cylinders also welds the inner headgasket o-ring groove full. It will need to be re-machined at a larger diameter. Otherwise the inner flange of the o-ring groove will be too thin. My sled runs AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just don't forget about all the extra work that is required.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any mods dictate reevaluating the rest of the package, but I appreciate the input.

I wouldn't have thought about the o-ring groove. Welding that up is much easier before you bore it out, so I'll do that first. I'll end up doing all the work myself, which is not a big deal. Porting will be the tricky part as it's tough to get to every nook and cranny in the transfers. I'll probably end up with a few dozen dyno pulls on it testing pipe configurations. After that it's all about getting the pipes to fit and testing the clutching.

Another question:

Black Magic sells spacer kits for the 6, does anyone know what the thickness of the spacers would be? All I want to do is compare port timing between the two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any porting work (other than a mild exhaust clean-up) will kill your bottom end.The cast ports are actually a little big from the factory so more cubes helps alot. Leave the stock pipes on it and have them ceramic coated. The thing will have more bottom end and mid range torque than your shoulders will handle. Should spin about 8200 when set-up right. When you get out on the lake and get some heat in the pipes, it will really come on top end. If you go with any of the aftermarket pipes (i've tried), you'll spin the thing about 9200 to make any power with a complete loss of bottom end. They don't last nearly as long at 9200!!! It should make 138-140 horse on the dyno with great torque numbers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts