Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I performed the recommended (finger tight) chain adjustment on the ZRT600 over the past week. This adjustment brings the adjuster bolt head flush with the lock nut. I would assume a chain and/or gear and/or sprocket replacement would be in order. Would a wider 15mm chain/sprocket/gear setup fit? Should I stick with stock parts? The oil drained from the case looked fine with no obvious metallic content. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
The chain definitely needs replacing. Many will say you should replace the gears when you replace the chain, so they can seat to each other, similar to new rings needs a fresh crosshatch. While prescribe to the practise of always resurfacing a cylinder for new piston rings, I have replaced a chain without replacing the gears. I have never found metal shavings in my chaincase and if you do then I believe the gears are not well aligned. If the gears look good I'd say keep them, but it can't hurt to have all new parts. If it was so bad to keep old gears with new chains then no one would buy, or sell, used gears.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Jan 5 2007, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The chain definitely needs replacing. Many will say you should replace the gears when you replace the chain, so they can seat to each other, similar to new rings needs a fresh crosshatch. While prescribe to the practise of always resurfacing a cylinder for new piston rings, I have replaced a chain without replacing the gears. I have never found metal shavings in my chaincase and if you do then I believe the gears are not well aligned. If the gears look good I'd say keep them, but it can't hurt to have all new parts. If it was so bad to keep old gears with new chains then no one would buy, or sell, used gears.[/b]
Excellent advice. I'll inspect the gears and if okay, will replace the chain.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It is possible that the gears and chain are fine. I have seen certain gear combos that you have to use a longer chain and end with the bolt all the way in. I would check your gear combo and see what you have. If you have stock parts Id atleast change the chain if nothing else. If the chain breaks....You made need a chain case. bang your head bang your head

·
Registered
44 Posts
I find with my reverse kits on my sleds that the manual adjuster bolt doesn't give you much use out of your chain .With the auto the adjuster it will push out on the chain alot farther.Not sure if this works the same for non reverse setups as I always run reverse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts