Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding on whether to go the route of a ZR or Riot, I do ride mostly trails but falling too in love with the Riot. Is a 146 1.6 track really too long for trails vs. a ZR with 137"? Just seems price points on 2020/21 Riots are better than the ZR's. Any feedback to help solidify this decision would be great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
From all my research I did before purchasing my RR last week... The Riot does handle the trails very well compared to other crossovers but it's not a trail dedicated sled.

So depending on how aggressive and where you sled... It could work well for you. I thrive in twists and turns so the longer track would slow me down in an area I enjoy so much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it depends on the type of snow you ride in. My neighbor has an older Cat 146” and is buying a new Riot, but he has a place in the UP MI so there is mostly always good snow. He trail rides only. I rode the sled and rides/steers good on the trails.

I plan (not so sure anymore due to the economy) buying a new ZR8000RR. I ride 50% in WI and 50% in the UP MI. So the Riot with 146” 1.6 lug wouldn’t work for my WI riding..If I did all my riding in the UP I would buy a Riot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brad, the current situation had me on the fence about signing up for a new sled but I did end up pulling the trigger. I think I made the right choice and only time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
8,223 Posts
If you have to ask the question buy a trail sled. I have ridden every riot type sled and the trail sleds are hands down better for trails. The 137 cat trail sleds are good off trail to an extent. What the riot gives up for trail riding they excel big time off trail over a trail sled. this is true for all colors not just a cat thing. Cat is last to the game with this type and it Is not 1000 times than the other colors. It’s on par with them. They all behave similar. Same with their trail sleds vs the cat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last year I bought a 2019 cross-country 137 and a 2020 riot 146 this year... Both are setup very similar: suspension stiffness, QS3s, studs, carbides, ski width, etc. The 137 is ever so slightly more stable thru the tight twisties; but I now prefer the Riot for its versatility. Think about it, the diff between 137 &146 is 9 inches. divide by 2 and you have an additional 4.5 inches on the ground... about the width of you palm.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
The ZR works much better in twisty trails, for me the extra length on the riot was easily noticeable.
Even with aggressive carbides and shortened limiter straps, the riot still didn't work as good as a ZR, in the woods, or when being pushed.
It works well in open pretty straight trails.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No doubt, the shorter the track, the better the machine will handle in the twisties... similar to wheel base arguments for summer toys. If tight trails are that important to you then you should opt for a 121" and enjoy. My point is that skill, proper setup and familiarity, can overcome an additional 4.5" on the ground. I agree with Krom; as I too can feel the difference between 137 and 146, but its not a big deal if you ride mostly ITS trails.
I have 9 cats, all vintages, all mint condition. The older 121" sleds will run circles around my Riot on smooth twisty trails. Buy accordingly...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last year I bought a 2019 cross-country 137 and a 2020 riot 146 this year... Both are setup very similar: suspension stiffness, QS3s, studs, carbides, ski width, etc. The 137 is ever so slightly more stable thru the tight twisties; but I now prefer the Riot for its versatility. Think about it, the diff between 137 &146 is 9 inches. divide by 2 and you have an additional 4.5 inches on the ground... about the width of you palm.
I agree. I came off a 137 track 8000 and got the riot 1.6 track this year. I do mostly trail, the riot is great. Just as you said the 137 is ever so slightly not as pushy in the twisty trails as riot. I was very happy with the new front suspension, and to top it off with the cross action 146 is unreal, such a phenomenal ride. The ride is the best I’ve had yet on a cat, won’t be disappointed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts