Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people. I have a 2016 zr7000 with the speedwerx 0-5000ft elevation clutch kit only me sled. I bought the sled and took it to a guy to have multiple mods done. The primary clutch kit being one. When I got it back I was very happy overall. I hit 103mph on my speedo but over the season I lost mph and went down to only 95mph topped out. My main concern is that my primary clutch is making noise and I know it’s only my primary clutch because my dad has the same exact sled but with more weight on his setup and his clutch on my sled made no rattling noise like mine. So I’m curious what’s causing the rattling of my primary clutch? Improper deflection or something else like weight or both? Clutch looks good too. Also why did I lose top end speed any helpful information will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Clutches are the least reliable things on a snowmobile (next to the engine mounts, darn aluminium chassis that can't handle solid mounting). Pull them off and inspect them properly indoors under bright light. Odds are you've got some problems with the rollers and/or bushings and/or dirt and/or somebody tightened the weight bolts too much and now that they're looser your clutching changed (if you have set screws the weight bolts should be finger tight, then turn them back a quarter turn or so, the loctite holds the nut in place not torque. The amount of people who tighten the weight bolts with set screws is insane).

Don't copy your dads clutching, unless you weigh the same (which I highly doubt) and have the same track and the same engine mods and the same miles and the same engine compression and so on and so on. Clutching is a case by case basis because track traction, engine power (engine mounts as well), clutch sheave cleanliness, rider weight, fuel weight, tunnel baggage, skid bearing friction, skid rail plastic friction, gearbox bearing friction, all plays a part. At top speed your clothing, helmet, rider height (or rather rider size) and rider posture, and choice in windshields, even plays a part. Not to mention if you have your suspension set up differently from your dad so you have less weight at the front of the skid (or more) while your dad has an even weight distribution across all four points (ski, ski, front skid, back skid), then your dad will have less friction than you and friction means a lot at 100mph.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts