Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 zr600 efi that I would like to do a seat swap on. I have found a little information but I was hoping that someone who is more knowledgeable would be able to verify this. I saw in an older thread on here that I could use a carbed model zr3 tank on my sled and just cut out the hole for the fuel pump myself. Basically I am looking for any more info I can find about doing that, like whether I need to change anything else. My intentions would be to swap to the zr3 tank and then swap out a Boss seat. Would love to hear any kind of input.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
I have a 98 zr600 efi that I would like to do a seat swap on. I have found a little information but I was hoping that someone who is more knowledgeable would be able to verify this. I saw in an older thread on here that I could use a carbed model zr3 tank on my sled and just cut out the hole for the fuel pump myself. Basically I am looking for any more info I can find about doing that, like whether I need to change anything else. My intentions would be to swap to the zr3 tank and then swap out a Boss seat. Would love to hear any kind of input.

a zr3 tank bolts right on and fits the plastic. I put the big 2000 tank on my 99 600efi. I used a EFI tank. It took about 15 minutes to do the swap.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
What do you mean by the big tank. And are you saying you were able to make the efi tank work somehow or did you swap fuel pumps?

I used the 2000 pump. I would just do the whole the tank and pump they plug right in. a zr600 pump will be dirt cheap used now days. The 2000 zr3s had a 13.5 gallon tank the 2002 and newer had a 12 gallon. You will be time and money ahead by just getting the newer pump instead of trying to hack a hole to mount the older pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the 2000 pump. I would just do the whole the tank and pump they plug right in. a zr600 pump will be dirt cheap used now days. The 2000 zr3s had a 13.5 gallon tank the 2002 and newer had a 12 gallon. You will be time and money ahead by just getting the newer pump instead of trying to hack a hole to mount the older pump.
That is great to hear. I had been under the impression that it was not easy to swap the pumps but this makes it a lot simpler. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
That is great to hear. I had been under the impression that it was not easy to swap the pumps but this makes it a lot simpler. Thanks for the info.

Yep if you get the whole thing with zr3 pump, the hardest part will be getting the lines off the old tank. You might also need the dash piece. I cant remember for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I forgot to ask, you said you used the 2000 big tank but will the other zr3 tanks work just the same? I am changing the tank to swap to a boss seat and the seat they make says it is for the 01-03 zr and if I am doing this I want everything to line up very nicely so I would prefer to use a later zr3 tank if it is possible. Some of these questions might seem repetitive but they are really helping clarify this for me, thanks.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The seat for the 2000 doesn't have the same design as the 01-03
The front sides are different where they curve into the tank. Google images and you will see the difference

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
I forgot to ask, you said you used the 2000 big tank but will the other zr3 tanks work just the same? I am changing the tank to swap to a boss seat and the seat they make says it is for the 01-03 zr and if I am doing this I want everything to line up very nicely so I would prefer to use a later zr3 tank if it is possible. Some of these questions might seem repetitive but they are really helping clarify this for me, thanks.
The larger capacity 2000 tank uses a different cut on the front part of the seat. Personally, I hated the 2000 seat/tank combo.... tank came too far back and was noticeable when riding...not as comfortable as the slightly smaller tank/seat combo was. But the extra fuel was nice too, so I guess it's a trade-off.
Anyway, that's why the Boss seat says 2001-2003..because of the way the seat fits around the tank.

EDIT: We used to call the 2000 tank the nut buster tank...if that gives you any idea how bad it is...........

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts

yes any tank will work. Since you are fitting a boss I would get the 02 and up tank. The 2000 zr tank is the odd ball tank. If i was going to do a tank swap, i would use the clear tank off a King Kat

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
I have a really nice green and black 2000 carb seat.

You can pull your 98 pump off yours and mark your opening
And trace it on the 2000 seat, cut it out and bolt on your 98 pump.

I am located 35 miles south of Detroit
Pm me if you are interested and I can text you a pic.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a really nice green and black 2000 carb seat.

You can pull your 98 pump off yours and mark your opening
And trace it on the 2000 seat, cut it out and bolt on your 98 pump.

I am located 35 miles south of Detroit
Pm me if you are interested and I can text you a pic.
Mike
Thanks but really just looking for an 01-03 efi tank w/ pump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts