Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am trying to wrap up the 580 project and get it out for a test spin! I had this same issue last year, but I thought the head gasket would fix the issue. (blew a head gasket near end of season) Here is what it does, it starts 1 pull no problem when its cold and sitting for a day or two. warm it up and it will run great, drives fine too. If I blast it full throttle for a few seconds and let off it will drop the idle to around 1k rpms and bog unless I pump the throttle. The sled has plenty of power, runs real good other than this. Now after riding for a bit if I shut it off, I can't start it for at least 10 mins. I can sooner but there is a trick I figured out to it. To start it back up I have to unplug the injectors give it a rip, than while it idles I have to plug the injectors back in. I am pretty sure its flooding. Now when I kill it I use the kill switch on the handlebars, the ign is unplugged. when I try to start it and it doesn't the efi blinks 1 flash. That is correct from what I a was told. I did notice that after the sled is started the efi blinks slow and steady. I am about to go take a video of the sled now, so I will post that up to help discribe the issue.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Turbocharged99,

Look at the ecu again while running, One flash should be longer the others shorter... let us know what they are.

Mike

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Nice job on the vid's , wish I had a camcorder just for that purpose!!! Have you pulled the throttle bodies and checked your reed petals ? From the sounds ans all the smoke you don't have anything in the air box or exhaust ( mouse nest or something). I would check on that ECU code and also look at your reeds ?? :ridepride: my2cents

·
Registered
659 Posts
Turbocharged99,

I lent my batterless efi book to a friend but I'am almost positive that code is for the coolant temp sensor. maybe someone else can verify my memory ??

Mike

·
Registered
606 Posts
nice sled ,I had about the same prob with zl 580 efi and it was the carb boots they where cracked under and just in front of the clamp but mine would idle at 3000 all the time and bog when u pin it I guess from running to lean, idk if this helps

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panther99 @ Dec 21 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
nice sled ,I had about the same prob with zl 580 efi and it was the carb boots they where cracked under and just in front of the clamp but mine would idle at 3000 all the time and bog when u pin it I guess from running to lean, idk if this helps[/b]

boots should be ok, same problem with the old boots and I put a new set of boots on it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panther99 @ Dec 21 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
nice sled ,I had about the same prob with zl 580 efi and it was the carb boots they where cracked under and just in front of the clamp but mine would idle at 3000 all the time and bog when u pin it I guess from running to lean, idk if this helps[/b]

If no one else chimes in I will just try to run it with the coolent sensor unplugged and see if there is any change.

·
Registered
659 Posts
unhooking it won't help...will just keep it in limp home mode. tried to get ahold of my friend but he's either ignoring me or on a honey doo list. I'd double check all the wires, most problems I have found are chaffed wires where they had them zip tied to the fuel rail. worth a shot. all the resistance readings I have here are for the battery system and the sensor has a different part #.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts