Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this sled. Female owned, 800 hours and hadn't been registered since 03. I changed out the bearings and speedo key and put a new chain in. Thing checked out great and runs awesome. I have a clicking sound coming from what I think is the clutch side of the sled at low speeds. (with the sled running it's hard to narrow it down) It also has an abrupt catch when the clutch engages the track. Again the sled runs great, but I'm not sure what to look for to see if I can correct the clicking sound. We have 3 other sleds (ZL 440, 500, 600) and none of them make the sound.

·
Registered
480 Posts
First off, congrats on the purchase, i have an '01 and it has been awsome. Can you run the sled on a stand to localize the source of the sound? Maybe even have someone just feather the throttle for you why you listen . Was the speedometer working when you bought the sled, or did you do the bearing/key replacement becuase they were shot? The reason I ask is because if it went out and sat for awhile, maybe the speedometer cable itself got a little rusty or gunked up and you can hear it spinning in the sheath. You could try disconnecting it and see if it stops. Maybe the clutches need some work. My '01 engages at 4600, that should be close for yours too. Maybe the other owners kitted it and now you hear flywieghts clicking. Maybe something got imbedded in the belt? You know, like a screw or something in the cogs and you hear it when it rotates into the clutches? Longshot I know, just throwing ideas out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply. I just moved here from North Carolina so I can get around a jet ski fine, been a while since I've had to maintain a sled.

The speedo key snapped on me about 5 miles into my first ride. I knew what it was at that time and the click was present prior to that. I went through the entire ski (carbs and grease and all) and removed the bearings. BOTH BEARINGS WERE CRACKED CLEAR IN HALF! I checked the chain and just thought I would put a new one on for the hell of it.

I guess that's what I have to do. Just get it running on the stand and see what's happening. Any other thoughts are welcome!

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Remove your belt and replace with another one. Sometimes belts get flat spots burned into them from trying to get a sled moving that's frozen to the ground. My kids do this about once a season. Good thing is that most of the time, the belt needs replacing anyway.

·
Registered
262 Posts
mine did that too.....a good thorough cleaning and it went away

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A few years back my CCE was making a clicking sound. Sure sounded like it was coming from the clutch area. Then it when away. Later I found the reservoir for the dial adjust missing from the nose of the slid. It must have been the braided line slapping around in the tunnel causing the noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It may be that your clutch is hanging up and will not engage until it hits an rpm where the stick gets overpowered. When the clutch backshifts when the sled slows down it will also get hung and then all of a sudden snap closed and make a clunking sound. Usually this means that the clutch bearing is sloppy, or one of the weights is sticking because of a flat spot caused by a damaged roller. Check the weights to see if there are flat spots and the rollers for wear. Good luck.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
You have a couple bad track clips that are "****ed" and are clicking on the hard plastic track drive sprockets as the track goes around.
I have seen it happen several times

1 - 8 of 8 Posts