Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I went for a ride, and The 2nd last axel towards the back came off and the wheels fell off, the axel ended up locking up underneath the axel ahead of itself, and binding in the track. I ended up coming to a stop right in the middle of a road. I hauled the sled off the road and someone happened to stop and lift the rear up so I could get it out. The axel seems okay to use again, and some with the wheels, but I think there might be some kind of thing that goes inside the boogie wheel, the bearing is still there. Should it be necessary for me to replace these parts, or would it be okay to fix when ever I get around to it. There are lots more idler wheels and boogie wheels to cut down on friction on the slides but im not sure if this will have much effect. Theres a picture below to show you what part came off. I was also told on here, if you ever take the rear suspension apart you should replace all bolts, because they will not lock the same again, I now believe that!

Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
There are plastic bushings that go inside the bearings that size it down to fit on the shaft. They are pretty cheap. I would buy them and put the axle back in rather than risking track damage.
Just my opinion.
SDOG

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
you could run without it if you needed to, but it should be replaced. Here is link to a parts diagram of what should be there: http://www.brownsleisureworld.com .go to this site, click on the word snowmobile on the top menu, then parts and find you year and model, the the diagram for innere idler wheel assembly. this only show one side, but the other side is a mirror to it, so you will need two of everything except the axle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
it pretty much depends on trail conditions. If you have a lot of snow to ride in, then those inner idlers arent doing much and you can definitely do without. Low snow/icy conditions they do a lot more to prevent friction and prolong slide life.

That said, it seems like a cheap/quick/easy fix, so why not take care of it and forget about it.

Just my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts