Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my oldest kid is almost 12 and I'm thinking of picking up a sled for them to play around on at the cabin. No trail riding

I was thinking a zr120 and they look cool. However would a Lnyx 340 or a Yamaha Ovation be a better choice? They ride 2 a lot and I want them to be able to drive 3.5 miles to the local watering hole at maybe 20-25mph. Plus The fullsize sleds are half the cost. I'm sure I could figure out a way to speed limit them until I'm comfortable with the driving skills. They have lots of ATV riding experience.

The zr200 would be perfect but we don't ride enough to justify the cost of a new sled. Too busy with winter sports.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Personally I think you’d be wasting money on a ZR120 or a ZR200. Go directly to at least a 340 or up to a 440. Both my boys learned on my T660 Turbo Touring. Clutching was so smooth for them and with them following me they never got to go full throttle. Once they got used to sledding I put them on my 93 Pantera 550. To this day my son has learned that speed is not the ultimate rush. He rides the Sabercat 600 now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
few things to consider- how big is the 12 yr old? I have a 10 almost 11 little girl and she is so small that she will not be ready for a big sled for a good 3-4 yrs. what kind of terrain is it to the watering hole? if its flat then no worries but if they have to do a lot of ditches or crossing roads then something smaller may be better if they would get stuck, they can get it out by themselves. I ordered a 200 for my daughter but my oldest son went from the 120 to a ext 550 with not much issue. of course its only a 500 dollar big sled and if he does crack it up I wont feel too bad , nor should he. anyways sorry for the rant, but it seems like there are always variables to consider.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would not get the 120 for a 12 year old. My kids are 6 and 8 and have been on the 120 for three years now. This year they started driving my Crossfire 600 and 700 with me on the seat jack behind them. Coming from the 120 helped with understanding the idea of snowmobiling. They both right away grabbed full throttle and backed off right away when the full size sled took off.
One trick you can use to limit throttle is to tape a block of wood behind the throttle. So instead of the back of the throttle hitting the handlebar the block of wood will hit and prevent full throttle. Easy solution that can me easily removed and adjusted with different thickness blocks of wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts