Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 2003 ZR120 that has sat with untreated fuel for a couple of years. It does not idle without choke. I need to pull and clean the carbs. In conversation, I asked my Cat dealer how hard it was and he claimed it is a b**ch and will probably take a couple hours. I was suprised to hear that. Are these that tough and does anyone have step-by-step instructions to get them off and back on? I have a buddy who had a small engine repair shop that is going to clean them once I get them off. THanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anyone who does not work on 120s thinks they are a pain. Anyone who does work on them knows its a pain :)
Remove the air box
Turn off the gas
Loosen the screw on the choke cable and remove cable end from carb.
Using the nuts that held on the airbox...
double nut to remove the rods that the carb is on
Keep track of the gaskets and insulator plate that is in between the carb and head.
Tilt the carb sideways to remove the linkage.
Done
If the carb is nasty on the outside i usually duct tape off both ends and clean the outside real good with a toothbrush and carb cleaner.
Remove pilot jet and air screw
remove bowl
remove main jet and nozzle. carefull not to mess up the threads. I ground down a flat head just for removing the main.
Now with safefy glasses on. Shoot carb cleaner into the nozzle and main jet. Hold it up to a light and make sure it is clean.
Then you proceed to shoot carb cleaner into every hole you can find on that carb. :) For best results it helps to shoot the cleaner in a reverse flow path than the fuel flows. But normally if you hit the hole it will be okay. let it sit a couple minute and do it again. Then using an air compressor blow out every hole. If the carb is nasty do it all again. I find that a real bad carb benefits from spending a night in small bowl full on Seafoam and then spray and blown out. Do it right the first time as it is a pain to pull the carb. Not too bad of a job. Can be done in about 15 minutes if you have the right tools and understand the process. Good luck and ask questions if you are not clear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those are good instructions above, but I wouldn't say it's all that hard-- certainly not compared to removing any other carburetor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I picked up a 2002 ZR120 for my daughter last weekend.

When I picked it up the guy says “it has to run with the choke on till it gets real warm, I think that’s how it’s supposed to be from the factory.” :huh:
2 hours after her first ride it still wouldn't run without the choke
I thought to myself that’s not right so I cleaned the pilot jet and it was plugged up. Started it on choke and turned it off and it purred like a kitten.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Madz - Great instructions. Got the carb off easily, and started taking it about. I unscrewed the main jet easily and towards the end started to bind. Sprayed lubricant on it and got it to come out. The nozzle is another story. I cannot get that to budge. Tried lubricant, heating it up, anythign I can think of and can't move it. Any ideas what to do?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After posting this, it appears that when the main jet was binding it caused the nozzle to turn as well. The end of the nozzle is now flush with the bottom of the carb bore which when the main jet is reinstalled would be below the carb bore, not inside the bore. I think this would be a problem but didn't have a picture of what it looked like prior to removing the main jet. REC has a video on youtube showing the dissassembly of the main jet and nozzle and theirs appear to come apart very easily. I was trying to get it out to clean the jet that is above the nozzle. Maybe I made a mistake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I inherited a 2003 ZR120 that has sat with untreated fuel for a couple of years. It does not idle without choke. I need to pull and clean the carbs. In conversation, I asked my Cat dealer how hard it was and he claimed it is a b**ch and will probably take a couple hours. I was suprised to hear that. Are these that tough and does anyone have step-by-step instructions to get them off and back on? I have a buddy who had a small engine repair shop that is going to clean them once I get them off. THanks.
Just replaced the stock carb with the attached carb for a tecumseh for $10.00 started up first pull and runs great.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts