Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
So the ZR is more or less completed and after a four year hiatus I am foaming at the mouth for some trail time! I thought today was the day...... WRONG! bang your head

I have gone over everything and before I rip the engine out on my ZR I want to see what you all think.

It's a 1997 ZR 440. I bought it last spring with a blown engine; before my son was born knowing, that if it does not run I will have no fun (No pun intended). So I bought an engine at haydays...... On budget. It was necessary to do so. The engine "looked" great but I came to find issues with it since.

I finally had some time to work on it starting last month. I'd go out for an hour here and there when I could.... I got it running. Just not very well which lead to a bit more work then I anticipated. But I now after new gaskets, a new cylinder, and new rings on one piston; I can say that the top of the engine is working great! ;)

I ran it up the street an in the back yard today then it over heated. Ok, well maybe the system didn't completely fill..... So I waited for it to cool down and I filled it (Only a "little" went in). Then I ran it slowly around the back yard and before long it over heated again. I wait for it to cool and I took out the old thermostat and added one that I knew worked along with a "Little" more coolant. Sure enough it over heated again. I waited for it to cool down and I took the thermostat off and added a "Little" coolant to the system again. With the small amount of coolant it took I realized the best bet was not to over heat it again. So It went strait into the garage.

So what’s the deal? I added all the coolant it took when I put the new engine in it? Now it's taking more but very slowly. I just read that elevating the front end may help. But I am wondering if there is a way to check if the system is circulating and how long does it take to fill a cooling system? I dunno

Advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Elevate the front as stated I usually have the stat out until I see coolant then install. Doesn't take long to fill. Then top up after stat re-installed and run. To see if it is circulateing check your rear heat exchangers to see if they are warm. Also when first starting keep sled elevated unitl circulateing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts