Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey jus looking at a 2004 ZR 900 what are they like how do they go and does any one have one with a silencer how does it sound?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I ride a 2003 ZR-800 sno pro and the sled is a trail animal. You will love how well these sleds handle AND still provide awesome power. They don’t ride like the old heavy high power sleds at all! Back in the day I remember wishing we could get ZR-600 handling with T-cat power! Well, it is not quite T-Cat power but very close. I sure wish CAT would have not discontinued this sled!!!!

When you look at this sled, ask the owner if the APV’s are shimmed and if the sled has ever blown a belt at high speed. The 900’s and some of the 800’s are known to through the crank out of phase when they blow a belt at high speeds. The APV’s on the 800’s and 900’s can start to make contact with the pistons as the engine wears. I just rebuilt mine at 5000 miles and found a cracked piston skirt caused by this interference. If the 900 you are looking at is NOT shimmed, do this when you get it. You generally can not tell if the APV’s are hitting the pistons by how the sled runs. My sled ran great and had 128 psi compression when I discovered my problem.

These are great sleds and I would let these problems scare you off, just be aware of them as you negotiate your deal. The shims are very easy to make and install. The crank is more of a deal to handle but not the end of the world.

If you want more info on shims, this is a tread that will be of interest:

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...21&hl=Shims

IMO these sleds sound best stock!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info still gonna pipe and can it gotta be herd :thumbsup: any one have pics of a 04 zr 900 had a 07 F8 but hit a road and total it off broke my back so i have nothin but time to find my next sled i want to try a ZR style

·
Registered
40 Posts
i got an 03 900 carbed, has 4000 and some on it and im hard on it, i got a can on it its loud dont give it anymore power though run a 1.6 track some clutch work. and it pulls hard i got the back snow flap ripped off from pulling the skis up so hard. ive blown many belts at 100mph havent shimmed the valves yet. i abuse it bad. and it goes and never misses a beat. nothing has ever come close to spanking me on it either.(maybe theres more done to it than i know i never bought it new). this year i had to do all bearings in suspension the clutch and shocks. chain and gears. but from what ive put it threw i figured it deserved it. good luck on youre search hope u have the luck ive had.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i just put on the cheapest can i could find. reason i put it on cause my stock one kept breaking the mounts. Id say d&d be youre best can, but theres probably someone who knows more than me on it. Im not one of those guys who spends 10hrs a week polishing taking compression tests and so on. long as i got 1/2 hr to service it and she runs fine im happy. i dont know anything on the DD as mines a chaincase, reverse would be nice though as i have it on my ZL 600. i have a couple neighbors with ZR 800's who dont een know what APV means they got 4-6000 miles of trouble free use. as far as im concerned this sled is bulletproof like my old RXL 650 was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts