Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently driving a 99 T-Cat but having problems with it.
So now i'm looking to buy another sled. I've heard the zr900
is retarded fast, and also heard it's not fast at all.

I just want to know what mph it can do stock on radar.
And maybe what sleds you raced and beat.
Like 800 machs, T-Cats, xc800s and such, have you beaten them?

Thanks for the input,

Tim!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
900 is a good running sled. Retarded fast may be a little extreme, but none the less they do run good.
General rule of thumb is no replacement for displacement. If I may ask... what kind of problems are
you having with the T-Cat ?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Compared to the T-Cat the 900 has gobs more torque in the low / mid ranges..........on top end the T cat will run away from the 900. To me the insane low mid grunt of the 900 is way more fun than the T cats top end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell you the truth I'm not too sure yet what is wrong with my T-Cat.
But my top end speed is maybe 110mph. Doesnt seem to do what it's
supose too.

Time for a change. Sooo hard on gas too.

You think a zr900 would be an Apex?
I"ve seen a few Apex radar'd, and the average
top speed was 108mph.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love mine an 2003 , haven't run on radar, just know the needle goes way past 100.

I have a 2000 Mach Z 800 with porting and pipes and it can't keep up to the 900.

They handle great, the ride is good. IMO, for the money there is no better sled !!!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
My 900 is faster than most sleds. But, i did lose to a piped and who knows what else Mxz Rev 800 the year before when the DD wasn't right. Now it'll be a different story with the T660 hehe...

Steve

·
Registered
492 Posts
I really like mine.

Not the quickest but will hold it's own.

The ZR's sweet spot is really aggresive trail. Pull like a freight train to top end and then that's it.

Mine runs 108 with 24:39's.

If it is only top end then the ZR is not the ride. If tearing your arms from the sockets is something you like - go ZR.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You should be OK against a stock APEX. As people have stated, the 900 is a torgue monster.
it does handle well and is well suited for most riding conditions. How fast you wanna go ? The
big T should be running better than that though, you can PM me if ya like and see if we can get
to the cause of the big cat problem or discuss a price ????

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2005 ZR 900 did 122 on gps.But I do have a few modds.LOL But you know I am curious as well.How do those Apex go and how do they handle compared to the ZR. I am thinking of buying one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
last month i went riding with a bunch of people up to northern maine and we got on to a lake me and 2 guys i was ridin with 1 with a zr900 and 1 with a tcat and me with a zrt 600,
i beat them off the line but they werent long catching up... the t cat flew by me and then right behind the t cat was the zr 900 prbly not even a sled lengh but im guessin that the zr 900 was pushin 125,

the t cat was piped, clutched, jetted, bored, and with nitroious so that obvisoly won lol but the zr 900 wasnt to far behind at the end, as for me lol i was about 5 or 6 sled lenghts from the zr at the end

·
Registered
17 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Block @ Feb 6 2007, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My 2005 ZR 900 did 122 on gps.But I do have a few modds.LOL But you know I am curious as well.How do those Apex go and how do they handle compared to the ZR. I am thinking of buying one.[/b]
What kind of mods have you done to your 900? I have an '05 that I just bought as a leftover and so far it's all stock except for a torque arm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (59Turbo @ Feb 6 2007, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Block @ Feb 6 2007, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 2005 ZR 900 did 122 on gps.But I do have a few modds.LOL But you know I am curious as well.How do those Apex go and how do they handle compared to the ZR. I am thinking of buying one.[/b]
What kind of mods have you done to your 900? I have an '05 that I just bought as a leftover and so far it's all stock except for a torque arm.
[/b][/quote]

I have the 10.4 sheeves, Speedwerx head, Boyesen reeds, SLP single pipe, jetted perfect no flat spots, SLP Torque arm, and a clutch kit to match with the package above they put together for me from bikeman performance.

My sled runs at about 7600 - 7700 rpm. I was GPS'd 122 mph 3 runs back to back on Long Lake in norther maine last winter.The ice conditions was perfect just shear ice no snow on the lake.

So far this winter I got 119 on GPS but there was 1 inch of snow on the lake.

·
Registered
53 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FreezerBurnt @ Feb 7 2007, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
stay away from the 04s[/b]

Well if you buy a 04 from the dealer brand new.Just make sure you have the updates done. But I have to say I had a 04 and bone stock and I got 107 mph.

My 05 ZR right out of the box bone stock I got 115 mph.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i raced an attack, ate it for dinner time after time!!!!!!!!!!!! i got 192 studs, gutted air box, and a TFI fuel adjuster for my efi, i had 105mph on gps with a little left. i would say 109-112 tops

·
Registered
53 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BIGTWIN900 @ Feb 8 2007, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i raced an attack, ate it for dinner time after time!!!!!!!!!!!! i got 192 studs, gutted air box, and a TFI fuel adjuster for my efi, i had 105mph on gps with a little left. i would say 109-112 tops[/b]

Get the 10.4 sheeves and you will see a better top end.

·
Registered
287 Posts
[attachment=63183:DSC00055.JPG][attachment=63184:DSC00107.JPG]well i had both a 03 zr 900 and a 06 apex.loved them both.zr had a cpr kit,air box mod,vf-3,torque arm and a mbrp trail.was a allaround exellent sled.06 apex,that to was a awesome sled.i did not get the carving type handleing of the zr but everything else was awesome.also apex top end was slightly slower then the zr with zr=26-41 gear's.but from out of hole to max top end,that freaking 4-stroke was with anybody and anything i raced.no gps or radar.my best guess my zr topped at 114 mph and the apex at 108-110mph..imo....al.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
You mention jetted perfect - is yours EFI or Carb? Sounds like you got the DD to work well for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Block @ Feb 6 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (59Turbo @ Feb 6 2007, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Block @ Feb 6 2007, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

I have the 10.4 sheeves, Speedwerx head, Boyesen reeds, SLP single pipe, jetted perfect no flat spots, SLP Torque arm, and a clutch kit to match with the package above they put together for me from bikeman performance.

My sled runs at about 7600 - 7700 rpm. I was GPS'd 122 mph 3 runs back to back on Long Lake in norther maine last winter.The ice conditions was perfect just shear ice no snow on the lake.

So far this winter I got 119 on GPS but there was 1 inch of snow on the lake.
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a stock 05 ZR900, I got 101 MPH last weekend on GPS. Granted I am a little on the heavier side and I know that must have an effect. I love the thing in the trails though and like said before, the low end pull is great. The only sled I have raced is an 05 Fusion, and I walked him. My ZR has 144 studs and V-Force 3 reeds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You mention jetted perfect - is yours EFI or Carb? Sounds like you got the DD to work well for you.

Yea I have carb model.This past weekend I raced a Mach Z 1000 a Mach Z 800 triple A Polaris Dragon 700 and man did they get a beating from my ZR9.
I just cant believe how well my sled runs.I have to thank bikeman performance with the package he put together for me.
Even the triple Mach Z 800 which was my closest competition with Jaws pipes porting work and clutching we were dead even from 60 mph to top end.We both had the GPS and I was at 122 mph again on a plowed lake.But from the whole shot to 1500 ft I got 6 sled lengths on him.He was pissed.LOL
The mach Z 1000 got beat from the whole shot by about 7 lengths but I have to say those Mach 1000 are fast on the top end.he got 116 with just the BMP head and some clutch work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.