Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Need some opinions. I have 02 zr 800 cc. Going to run d&d power breather, y-pipe and pipe with can. Do i need to rejet this or leave it stock. I was told to leave it stock not real sure. I want it to rock but safe temp. Also puttin clutch on it to. Lookin at simons cpr clutch kit. Any opinions on that?

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
yeah rejet
move needle clip to 4th position
we have same setup with aftermarket head
running 500 main jets
just a little rich
i was told to run the heaviest weights you can right now we have 74 gram gold spring
red spring in 2ndry
pulls the skis up in the air for some time
even with the coupler blocks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was told by my local power sports the guy that owns it and said to leave it stock because cat usually runs bigger jets as it is so more input would be great I have the same sled and haven't put my pipe on yet until I found out if I should re jet OE jot also

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya d&d told me to leave stock jets in.just wanted other opinions. Another person told me to move needle jet clip up one. What exactly moving cliip up will do? Raise rpms?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh ok. Now i know. Been hearin about it but didnt know anything about it. So thanx

If you want to be safe you should read about reading piston wash

If your putting all of those aftermarket parts on you need to learn how to read jetting or you will burn up a piston or two.

Reading plugs is a real hard thing to do with E-10 blended fuels that we have today.

Hope this helps,
Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jetting

Ok what ive kinda of found out is. Im goin to start with 460 jets. Stock is 430 i think. And goin to raise needle jet one notch. Any comments ? That is with d&d power breather, d&d y pipe and single pipe with can.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
put needle on 4th notch from the top
our 900 twin is there with stock exhaust, airshelf removed from airbox and running 460 jets
throttle is nice and crisp at sea level

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know your going to think i am crazy but I rebuilt a 03 zr 900 because it blew up,this was the third time since new. AFter working with some 900 gurus and learning the ins and outs of the engine and tons of testing to make it a great trail sled with lowering the chances of burndown due to lean conditions. Here is what i came up with.

Mag side 540 A tad rich but very safe

PTO 500 Great wash on piston

I also changed the needles to get rid of the very lean spot at cruising speeds
Needle number 57 needle AC# 6506-115 clipped 4th from top

This is with stock bore and ports
stock pipe and can
Gutted air box
D&D power breather closed off

I use the power breather when the temps warm up 35* plus during the day and it gets rid of the blurble in the throttle.

I rode this year with temps at 5* to 35* using 93oct and it ran great and safe.

Like I said before learn to read your wash, just because your buddys run XYZ jets dosent mean thats where your sled likes to run at.

Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok back to not sure what to jet with. Ive read about lot of guys runnin anywhere from stock jets (430-440) to 540s with my setup. I dont want to fry a piston fir sure. But i want it to rock and run safe temp. Around here temps are maybe in teens but mostly in 25-30° weather. Michigan temps little lower. D&d tells me start with 460 jets. Im goin to get jets in 3 sizes 460-470-480. Guess ill just keep close eye on plugs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your vest bet is to start big and make your way down to be safe listen to auburn he knows what he is doing and what he is talking about I have dealt with him personally I don't think I fellow members would ever lead you the wrong way start big and go smaller my opinion. Better to be safe than sorry and yes until you know everything is good just keep a close eye on plugs yo be safe

·
Registered
168 Posts
You could start there auburn is running 500 and is tad rich he said with aftermarket head so like I said anything you do I would start big and work your way down rich is better than lean just keep an eye on plugs every run. I would start with 480 to be safe just me jets is better than buying a rebuilt

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could start there auburn is running 500 and is tad rich he said with aftermarket head so like I said anything you do I would start big and work your way down rich is better than lean just keep an eye on plugs every run. I would start with 480 to be safe just me jets is better than buying a rebuilt
Ok thanx alot man. Will do that. I appreciate all the comments. Thanx guys

1 - 20 of 31 Posts