Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Its likely not the fuel pump. The fuel pump works off of vacuum pressure when the engine is running. When the engine is off, the fuel pump does not operate. It sounds like you've got a stuck float or a leaky fuel needle or seal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Question...with the carbs removed, if you turn your fuel on/off switch to the on position, does gas come out of the fuel line that would normally be hooked up to the carbs?
For letting it sit for about 5 mins no gas came out of the fuel line with the valve open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
But if I put pressure into the tank with the valve open it just pours out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So really I could just un screw the gas cap and release the pressure whenever im done riding and I should be fine, right?

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Your gas tank vent line should take care of that. Is it plugged?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I really don't think that's the case.. if you think pressure is building in the fuel tank you can clean the vent line or cap. do it anyway but I'm assuming your carbs will still flood... this really seems like a float valve problem. don't be scared to tear into your carbs. check out YouTube. there's plenty of advice there. I could be wrong... make sure it's not a vacuum petcock that was installed. it would have another line that goes to engine vacuum and the petcock only opens if there's vacuum on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So it passes the pressure test no leaks what so ever at 3-5psi, jets are clean also. I can try to fix gas cap and see what happens

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I didnt install anything new just cleaned it up. Ill let you guys know after a couple of days of starting and letting it sit for a while how it goes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't say I never cleaned old carbs up without new parts. if it works, it works. if it holds pressure I can't imagine what else would push fuel through the carbs... I'm not as well versed in the fuel pumps. if they fail could they let gas into the crank via vacuum hole?? idk...

·
Registered
77 Posts
also I forgot.. fuel might not flow from your gas line if it's elevated. I'm not sure how your sled is but many of them don't simply have a line that drains at the bottom of the tank. the fuel pump would elevate it. it would not flow if the petcock was turned on and disconnected beings the line is running over top of the fuel level. if it was still primed and the petcock was open fuel could ostensibly be siphoned into the engine.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
cstier2000, I think if I were in your shoes, I'd start fixing by process of elimination. First I would make sure the vent line for the tank is clear and unobstructed. The gas cap is a sealed type and does not vent. Then I would rebuild or replace the fuel pump. Last I would disassemble the carbs and clean them again. I would probably replace the fuel needle's and float seals while I was at it. And by cleaning the carbs, I would soak the bodies and removed jets in carb cleaner or Pine Sol. Spraying with carb cleaner rattle can is not going to suffice.
Last I would eliminate the fuel shut off line and replace all the gas lines. There was no fuel switch on those sleds from the factory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for all the help, it ended up being a very simple fix. The vent line was pinched completely under the hander bars!

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Good to hear

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts