Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a 1995 ZR 700. I just bought this sled about a month ago. I LOVE this sled and have had as much fun as there was winter left on it. I just have a few questions and I figured maybe you guys coudl help.

1. One of the clamps on the bumper around the fron has let go of the body. From what I can see, to fix this one most remove the plastic center out of the entire bumper to get at it. My question is is this so, and if so how does one go about removing and replacing that center strip? I thought maybe a heat gun would do it but frankly it looks like it is VERY hard to do.

2. How much antifreeze should be in the reservoir when it is cold and what type of antifreez shoudl be used. What is the mix if i have to mix it myself.

3. The sled has dial a jets on it and i was wondering if anyone knows of any place where i can get information on them as to how to set and adjust them.

4. Is it worth it to get the seat recovered or is it just as effective to buy a seat cover straight from arctic cat?

5. Woudl this sled be a good candidate for a 2 up seat? If so should I go with a aftermarket attached 2 up or is there an interchangable 2 up seat from a different cat of that year.

6. For some reason the fuel will drain back on the carbs if it sits very long and takes MANY pulls to start if this happens. If i turn off the fuel this will not happen and is no longer an issue. My question here is why woudl this be happening?

Hows that for a first post? I am new to this. My last sled was a 77 panther. I never had to work on it much because it just NEVER died. It was awesome. But when this sled came along it was to good a deal to pass up. Now I just have to learn how to get her tuned up and learn more about my machine. I tell ya, it sure rides smoother than my old 77. I can only imagine what the new sleds ride like. I know this one thing for sure, I AM ADDICTED!!!!

Thanks for any help you can give me here.

Travis

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cant answer them all but here goes coolant should be mixed 50/50 any good quality automotive type will do. If there is no mark on the reservoir 1/3 to 1/2 full is a good starting point you may have to adjust. I think your fuel is more likely draining in the engine which means the needle and seat are most likely the culpert hard to be sure a province away .Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an interesting thought on the fuel. I suppose the air in the line could come from the engine aswell. I thought I had it solved when i fixed the fuel line leak, but it still did it. I am thinking about pulling the carbs off this off season and cleaning them out completely. Woudl it be wise to switch to EFI on this sled?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had my 95 ZR 700 ( I see you are Canadian as well, so it's Zed not Zee) since new and will never part with it. One of the all-time best sleds ever, Arctic Cat or not.

I agree with Mountain Guy about the needle/seats. These should be changed every few years ( depends on miles ) You have an old sled and I'm thinking you probably don't have much in the way of service history. This engine has a lot of vibration, even the higher frequency stuff you might not be aware of and this causes wear on the needle/seats. The only other problem I have found with the carbs was keeping the choke plungers clean and free of buildup.

Changing this sled to EFI is a bad, expensive idea. In addition to the ECU, sensors, harness, fuel rail, throttle bodies with injectors, etc. you will have to replace the fly wheel and stator as well. If you could get everything from a wrecked Wildcat, maybe, but the fuel-mapping won't be quite right because the ZR's porting is different and more aggressive than the Wildcat.

Also, your sled would benefit greatly with the addition of a roller secondary helix on the driven clutch. I replaced my old tri angle helix with a 50 degree roller and the sled loved it. I also changed the original Arctic primary clutch with a Comet EXP for durability.

My ZR700 runs really close to my 2002 ZR 800 EFI. Good luck with your sled.

·
Registered
815 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TravisInkster @ Mar 11 2007, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK, I have a 1995 ZR 700. I just bought this sled about a month ago. I LOVE this sled and have had as much fun as there was winter left on it. I just have a few questions and I figured maybe you guys coudl help.

1. One of the clamps on the bumper around the fron has let go of the body. From what I can see, to fix this one most remove the plastic center out of the entire bumper to get at it. My question is is this so, and if so how does one go about removing and replacing that center strip? I thought maybe a heat gun would do it but frankly it looks like it is VERY hard to do.

1. There is a plastic cap at the end of the bumper, just above the footwell. They should either slide right off or there might be a screw or bolt holding it in place. Take it off. Then pull the rubber strip back and peel it until you get to the spot you need to replace. To put it back in simply press it in with your hand. If it's stiff and doesn't want to sit properly take a rubber mallet and "put" it in place.

2. How much antifreeze should be in the reservoir when it is cold and what type of antifreez shoudl be used. What is the mix if i have to mix it myself.

2. 1/3 of a bottle cold is close. 50/50 mix with an automotive anti-freeze like was said in an earlier post.

3. The sled has dial a jets on it and i was wondering if anyone knows of any place where i can get information on them as to how to set and adjust them.

3. Thunder Products is where you get that info, they made the Dial-A-Jet and can help you out the most. Lonn from TPI is an absolute wizard. He knows his stuff. I'd recommend UFO's(If you have roundslide carbs still) and follow Lonn's recommendations to a T.
Thunder Products - Dial A Jets

4. Is it worth it to get the seat recovered or is it just as effective to buy a seat cover straight from arctic cat?

4. Get it recovered. An even better solution is to change the tank and seat with one off of a 1M Mountain Sled. Bigger tank, better seat possibilties. Either a stock MC seat which was lightweight, or an aftermarket seat would be ideal. 2003-2006 1M Cats are what your after here.

5. Woudl this sled be a good candidate for a 2 up seat? If so should I go with a aftermarket attached 2 up or is there an interchangable 2 up seat from a different cat of that year.

5. No not a good candidate for a 2 up. Why? Because it's not fun when your getting slapped up side the helmet because your going too fast or you missed to slow down for some sort of nature. haha

6. For some reason the fuel will drain back on the carbs if it sits very long and takes MANY pulls to start if this happens. If i turn off the fuel this will not happen and is no longer an issue. My question here is why woudl this be happening?

6. I'd bet money it's the Needle and Seat like said in earlier posts again.

Hows that for a first post? I am new to this. My last sled was a 77 panther. I never had to work on it much because it just NEVER died. It was awesome. But when this sled came along it was to good a deal to pass up. Now I just have to learn how to get her tuned up and learn more about my machine. I tell ya, it sure rides smoother than my old 77. I can only imagine what the new sleds ride like. I know this one thing for sure, I AM ADDICTED!!!!

Thanks for any help you can give me here.

Travis[/b]
Travis are you a Flatlander or out west? I have a customer named Inkster in the Cariboo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.