Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys and you few ladies.. Ii need some help too I have a 99 ZR 700 with 2800 miles on it and it is running like crap.. Last year I put about 2600 miles on it and it ran like a raped ape APEX's were having a hard time keeping up. Anyway This fall I took off the carbs and cleaned them and put them back on and started it and it was back firing on me I have never had a 2 stroke back fire but it was so i adjusted the lower screw on the carb and it was fine it seemed?? I tried to ride it and it was bogging down it would run great for about a tenth of a mile tan bog down. Now I cant get the darn thing started?? any suggestions.. Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
Almost sounds like the Achy Breaky Stator syndrome, I seriously dont think its the carbs...if they are clean and it ran just fine last year then why would it act up this year?!! How it ran then bogged out and then died, sounds alot like people's stator failure stories to me. Check the spark first off.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Backfire is an indication of a lean carb. Did you pinch a fuel line? Reconnect lines wrong at the pump? Bend your float when cleaning carbs? I would pull the carbs and recheck your work as this is all you have done between running great last year and not at all this year. Also check for blocked fuel tank vent or a collapsed hose in your tank. Really sounds like a fuel problem to me

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like mine kinda too, Seems to have little backfire here and there...But the right side carb has been know to Foul......Just right side... Is there a certain way fuel lines hook up? Left side never fouls but right side does often.....And still bogs on low end.

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
No, just one line that "tee's " into both carbs. The line can get pinched after taking carbs off, I have done it before. Check spark and compression to eliminate both (hopefully) and re- do those carbs, put both carbs at 1 and 1/2 turns out to start (white tipped screws) if your anywhere at or up to 2000 feet above sea level.
It might be that ugly stator. But it just makes sense that you did something wrong after cleaning. It ran before, it should run now.
P.s. I use seafoam carb cleaner regularly and I have never taken my carbs apart on my 99, I take the main jet cap off and look inside, its always as clean as day one. seafoam is good stuff................tigger

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sometimes after sitting all summer the gas can absorb a lot of moisture. Make sure you have fresh dry gas. We always had bogging sputtering on fall start up with sabilizer in the gas. Now I give them a double shot of isopropanol in the spring and another double shot before fall startup. Works for me. :super_happy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts