·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 ZR 600 efi cc 4300 miles
replaced stator 800mi ago
sled was running great, no issues for 500 miles or so this season
at slow speed (3mph) sled abruptly dies like someone hit the kill switch
kill switch is not hooked up (has not been for 3 years)
Now sled has no spark, not even a weak spark
switched coil with one from a running sled, no improvement
If anyone has ideas or some tests I can do with a multi-meter please help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colors

Thanks for the info, what would be the wire colors for the timing sensor. If this part failed would you expect a no spark condition?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
green and brown the wires com out by the stator wired its a small 2 wire plug and yes no spark condition would occur because the ecu wouldnt know when to spark

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
green and brown the wires com out by the stator wired its a small 2 wire plug and yes no spark condition would occur because the ecu wouldnt know when to spark or when not 2

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Thanks for the info, what would be the wire colors for the timing sensor. If this part failed would you expect a no spark condition?
If it fails it causes a no spark condition. Your ohms are 90. Here is the video showing how to test it...just takes a few seconds to test it...easy to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tested it (timing sensor) @173 ohms. Do they usually go higher in resistance when they fail? If 90ohms is spec, I'm going to pick up a new one. Thanks

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
180 might be right for yours, so with colder weather the reading may be correct. I would try swapping it still though. Stators on these aren't known for going bad. Where did the new stator come from? Check green to grown and green to black on the stator and let us know what resistance readings you get.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
stators bad if it reads open and your timing sensor is right reading a70 to 180 mine read 180 certain years read 90 some 180

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah unfortunately the stator that is on it is not the factory one for that sled. Stator went bad about 800 miles ago and the dealership replaced it. I will tear it apart tomorrow and see what I find. Looks like my problem may be slightly unique seeing as most people have running problems before complete stator failure. I will keep everyone posted when I get it apart.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Yeah unfortunately the stator that is on it is not the factory one for that sled. Stator went bad about 800 miles ago and the dealership replaced it. I will tear it apart tomorrow and see what I find. Looks like my problem may be slightly unique seeing as most people have running problems before complete stator failure. I will keep everyone posted when I get it apart.
What makes you think your description is unique? I don't get that impression from what I have read. Seems to me that most of the time it either works or it doesn't.

When my 98 ZR lost its stator it was idling, sitting still and just died never to start again on that stator. That was an ignition coil failure. It failed again a year after I rewound it, this time the fuel injector coil failed. Once again running fine and then when sitting still and idling it quit cold.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Thought that all the twins were pretty much the same..just looked at parts and the 02 ZR600EFI does use the same trigger as the triples...which is 170-190ohms or so. I guess I need to look before i leap next time.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Thought that all the twins were pretty much the same..just looked at parts and the 02 ZR600EFI does use the same trigger as the triples...which is 170-190ohms or so. I guess I need to look before i leap next time.
I use to think I had it figured out too Blaine, but have since learned otherwise. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:
Replaced OPEN stator with one off a running 2002 Zl 600 efi ss and sled fired right up. I did notice that the old stator had smooth contacts like they had been lathing slightly (silver looking squares on top of copper coils). The replacement one had ridges that look like no actual contact had been made (looks like staples lined up). When I started the sled up I can hear a slight squeak coming from the stator area. Do you think my flywheel is slightly out of spec? When I looked at the inside of it I did not see signs of wear. Should I ignore the noise and ride or get a new flywheel.

This is the second stator I have had to put in and sled has 4000mi.
Attached photos show dead stator and smooth contacts.

stat3.jpg

stat.jpg

stator.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
109JB:

It's my impression that some sleds are prone to blowing stators left and right... as it seems to be in our cases.
WHY?
Bad grounds?
Bad fly wheel?
Corrosion?
I don't know why but it seems like maybe there is a specific cause for the failures.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
One of your magnets might be cracked and starting to separate....

Sent from somewhere in MN

1 - 20 of 26 Posts