Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2000 zr 700 with a blown crank. In my searching for a new one, I've come across a complete (I mean EVERYTHING) 2002 zr 600 efi motor with about 4000km on it that I could possible pick up for a steal. Now, my question is, would it be worth switching over to the 600? How does is compare to the 700 power wise. Fuel mileage I would assume is far superior, but I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm assumming it would be much lighter than the old iron.
How is the reliability of these 600's. Not to step on anyone's toes, but I've seen a few threads on here with people having motor/efi problems (can't recall what exact year motors though), and I'm wondering if it's just one or two cases, or if these are sort of known for it.

Any info would be great.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,544 Posts
I've got a 2000 zr 700 with a blown crank. In my searching for a new one, I've come across a complete (I mean EVERYTHING) 2002 zr 600 efi motor with about 4000km on it that I could possible pick up for a steal. Now, my question is, would it be worth switching over to the 600? How does is compare to the 700 power wise. Fuel mileage I would assume is far superior, but I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm assumming it would be much lighter than the old iron.
How is the reliability of these 600's. Not to step on anyone's toes, but I've seen a few threads on here with people having motor/efi problems (can't recall what exact year motors though), and I'm wondering if it's just one or two cases, or if these are sort of known for it.

Any info would be great.

Cheers,
Dave

600 fuel mileage sucks too about 10 on the 600 and 8 to 9 on the 700. The apv motor is better than the no apv motor. I have never lost a piston in my apv motor but have box full of failed non apv 600 pistons. Power they are about the same in stock form. Once you do some tuning to the 700 it will have a lot more power than the 600. When you say everything dose it also include the gas tank and fuel pump?? You need that as well.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, everything. It would be coming in a sled I would part out. One thing I like is that I'm assuming the 600 will be ALOT lighter than the old 700. That being said, I think I've heard before the 600 efi cannot be run with a fuel controller? That would mean mods get expensive if you got to send it out to be remapped.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
ive owned a 99 700 a 99 600 and a 02 600 i love the 02 600 the most but the 700 is a close second the efi is nice till it acts up. My 700 never missed a beat it never let me down so its a toss up for me if u can do the swap id do it but the old iron is just as good

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know. I've had no issues with the 700, before this crank anyways, the biggest reasons for maybe thinking of switching are because the opportunity sort of came up, and weight was sort of a thought too. I don't know how much heavier the 700 is, but if you look at the way the two are build, there's definitely a physical size difference.

·
Super Moderator
8,544 Posts
Good to know. I've had no issues with the 700, before this crank anyways, the biggest reasons for maybe thinking of switching are because the opportunity sort of came up, and weight was sort of a thought too. I don't know how much heavier the 700 is, but if you look at the way the two are build, there's definitely a physical size difference.

maybe 10 pounds.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My 2000 ZL 700 is one of the best sleds I have ever owned. We had a ZR 600 EFI at the same time, and I always preferred the 700. With the flatslide carbs, it started almost as easy as the EFI. Weight and fuel mileage probably arent enough different to notice. I found a brand new 700 engine on Ebay for $995 OBO. Depending on how good of a deal your 600 parts are, less than a grand for a complete new engins is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a 2002 ZL 600 EFI and the last couple rides I have had it out, I averiged 15 mpg trail riding 40-60 on trail and 50-80 lakes. I have 6500 miles on this sled now and have not touched the motor. Bullet Proof! Is harder on oil but I use Fowler 2 stroke extreme and that is only 30 bucks a gallon Best non lay down engine cat has ever built.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 2000 ZL 700 is one of the best sleds I have ever owned. We had a ZR 600 EFI at the same time, and I always preferred the 700. With the flatslide carbs, it started almost as easy as the EFI. Weight and fuel mileage probably arent enough different to notice. I found a brand new 700 engine on Ebay for $995 OBO. Depending on how good of a deal your 600 parts are, less than a grand for a complete new engins is hard to beat.

Ya I saw that motor on ebay too. Good deal, just don't have the funds for it now. Like I said, the 600 was only a thought if I can get it for a dirt cheap price, otherwise, the 700 will just get a new crank, or new to me crank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.