Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy two 2001 ZR600 EFI batteryless snowmobiles. They each have 1100 miles and have been stored indoors the entire time. They are in excellent shape.

Are these good, reliable sleds? How are they on gas? I never had a EFI before and just wondering if that is a good way to go. Also, wondering about the batteryless system if people like those.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i have 2 02 600 efis and love them they are great sleds just keep the pvs clean i get about 120 miles to a tank on mine but thats mixed riding some get better some worse. there a great sled and not known for many issues especially with the lo miles.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good sled but they are not so great on fuel. I personally love the EFI, no jets to screw around with, starts and idles perfectly, don't have to worry about elevation changes. I would never go back to a carb sled. Mine has 3800 miles with nothing out of the ordinary for mechanical issues.

·
Registered
690 Posts
'01 saw the addition of exhaust valves. My '00 does not have them but I love the sled. Gas milage sucks but I really don't care. I have twin pipes and a clutch kit so it goes pretty good. I love the looks of the ZRs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought an 02 zl 600 efi esr and I love it. The gas mileage is ok, not as good on my previous 440cc sled. The only problem I have with my sled is when I shift it in reverse it clicks like it isnt engaging all the way into reverse. Otherwise a great sled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 01 but mine is carbed and I love it! I did a little digging on them before I bought mine and from what I found it is a bulletproof motor, the suspension is tried and tested to be good and they are great looking sleds! I pulled the checkered stickers going up the center of the hood on mine though I didnt really care for them. As far as MPG's go they are pigs, I think the best I have got on mine is about 11 MPG but they are a blast to ride.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Those are great sleds, fun to ride, and they can generally take a beating.

EFI is definitely the way to go if you have the choice, less adjusting (you don't have to change jets for different temperature conditions or elevations) and less likely to need to be taken off and cleaned (like carbs do nearly every year).

The batteryless is also a plus because you don't have the battery to maintain/replace and deal with.

There are quite a few of the ZL and ZR 600 sleds from that era still in use and being enjoyed, this is both a testament to their durability and likability as well as a chance for you to make sure you're not overpaying.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just sold my 2001 ZR 600 that I put a 136" track on. Sold it with 5200 miles on. Everything was still in good shape. Was on the 5th top end rebuild. Rings kept turning past the keepers and would catch on the exhaust port. Also happened to my dads 02. Mine was carb and his was EFI.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Keep in mind that with the power valves you need to use synthetic oil which is a bit more expensive than the mineral oil you can get by with on the non-power valve motors.

Any one have any statistics or experience on oil consumption between power valves and non-power valves?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an '00 zr 600 efi with reverse. I've been very happy with mine. The one item to look out for are the suspension springs. They are notorious for needing to be replaced. I just did mine and found some bad idler wheel bearings and had shocks rebuilt. Overall, great power and reliability. As someone mentioned earlier, I love the EFI, I'll never go back to carbs.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Like MinnesotaMuscle said, going price on those low-milage machines would be 2300-2500. You could buy 4 of them for the price of a new one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.