Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to get your opinoins, how are you guys setting the idle speed screw and the idle mixture pilot on a Mikuni VM?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I guess I would ask that you be more specific. Are you referring to synchronizing or do you have an idle speed issue?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
There is a relationship between your Throttle cable adjustment and your idle screws. If the cable adj is too tight, it is holding up your slides and your idle screws will not work. If the cable is too loose, you will not get full throttle and may have TSS problems.

What I do is remove the airbox so I can see into the back of the carbs, then back the idle screws out all the way, and loosen the throttle cables until the slides are bottomed out. Then I adjust the idle with the idle screws, making sure I turn both the same amount. At that point, verify that both slides are syncced by looking in the inlet side of the carbs (same distance from bottom). Tighten up the throttle cables to spec (about 1/16" slack) then verify the sync again. Throttle should pull the slides up at the same rate and to the same point, and when you let go they should both go down to the same point.

Regarding the pilot air screws, I normally turn them in until lightly seated, then back them out 1.5 turns. From there, you can adjust them a bit either way until you the smoothest running setting. Be sure to do this when the sled is warmed up.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a relationship between your Throttle cable adjustment and your idle screws. If the cable adj is too tight, it is holding up your slides and your idle screws will not work. If the cable is too loose, you will not get full throttle and may have TSS problems.

What I do is remove the airbox so I can see into the back of the carbs, then back the idle screws out all the way, and loosen the throttle cables until the slides are bottomed out. Then I adjust the idle with the idle screws, making sure I turn both the same amount. At that point, verify that both slides are syncced by looking in the inlet side of the carbs (same distance from bottom). Tighten up the throttle cables to spec (about 1/16" slack) then verify the sync again. Throttle should pull the slides up at the same rate and to the same point, and when you let go they should both go down to the same point.

Regarding the pilot air screws, I normally turn them in until lightly seated, then back them out 1.5 turns. From there, you can adjust them a bit either way until you the smoothest running setting. Be sure to do this when the sled is warmed up.

thanks; I was looking for a routine like that, I'll do that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts