Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to buy a zr 580 , looking to see what other people are setting there sled up to make them ride with newer sleds, I,m looking at some clutching , or any info that I might like to try mine is a carb 40 mm stock pipe and air box, and the motor is in a 2000 zr 500 chassis

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
When I had my 94 Zr580 I did a bunch of engine work to it. And it ran as good as any 700 with out mod pipes would run to boot. First off i opened up the triple port exhaust, second widen the exhaust, third lowered and widen intake, next move timing to the correct position as those stators are adjustable, next tapered bore the carbs to 44mm and rejet. next dialed in the clutching and some where in there i messaged the transfer ports as well. then put on a set of D&D twin pipes on and fryed it. Went back to stock pipe and it still cleaned Zr700's. Any questions???

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
On the porting I opened up the triple ports and widen the exhaust. The intake I lowered and widened. The trasfer ports I just cleaned up and raised 1/2MM. The carbs I really dont remember what I did as far as specs go but I will see if I can find my notes on that sled with every thing I did to it. I remeber I had to use the 95 ZR580 ignition timing to get it to run correct though as the 94 timing just did not do it on that engine. All i can remeber about the clutching now is I used a comet yellow green primary spring because its rate is different than Cats yellow green and worked better. When I go back out to the garage i will see if i still have the notes. I remember that sled and it ran very well for what it was. I had it set up for corner to corner and it was quick.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I've ported my 580 using the Race Logic templates. I'm pleased with the results. I've converted my secondary to a roller cover clutch and after the porting it has enough power to fully shift out with the original straight 53* helix. I'm currently running 50.5g weight with a Cat Orange/White spring in the primary. This set up brought my peak RPM's down to ~8200 for the Aaen pipe I got to replace the stock pipe that broke into pieces. I have UFO's in the carbs and a Tempa-Flow to keep the jetting in line all the time.

The single best money I've spent on the old 94 was for the TSL skid frame. Second best is probably the 1.25" track and third would be the Tempa-Flow. I've done the lite version of the AGLT front end, moved the steering post forward, added bar risers and modified the seat. Plastic skis are a must. Rdie and handling mods are the most valuable, in my opinion, then clutching and engine mods are the least significant.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Anti ratchet drivers. 8 tooth. You will need to trim your front rails and caps nearly as far as you can go before the window just before the cross shaft i think. I had to on my 95 EXT 580 for clearance. You need to check that when the skid is at full compressed travel the track window drivers have clearance. You can run your tack a little loser, less friction, free hp to the ground. I don't remember the exact clutch set up but it was pretty close to stock i think. 96 studs and it was an awesome trail machine. Put the fox shocks in it too.

Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.