Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 ZR 580 that’s kicking my butt. The thing runs great for few minutes. Maybe a mile or so. Then it Boggs and won’t go any faster than about 45. It acts like it’s not getting fuel but I’m having a hard time believing that. Both carbs have been cleaned twice. The float setting is ~.88”. The main jet is a 370 as best I can tell.
other than a good cleaning, nothing has been changed in the carbs. When I bought the sled the guy said it needed a primary clutch. I bought a new clutch and made sure the spring was correct (red) and that the weights were right (46.5 gram). I decided that as long as I was at it I might as well replace the buttons in the secondary as well. When I took it apart, the spring ( yellow) was in the fifth hole (tightest). Everything I found said the spring should be in the middle hole so that’s where I put it when it was reassembled. Alignment was checked when everything was reassembled and is correct.
My question is could moving the spring from the fifth hole to the third hole be causing my issue? Do the springs loose tension over time and the previous owner moved it to the fifth hole to compensate for it?
Neither cylinder appears to be lean, but could it be crank seals?
I’m totally out of ideas and need your input. TIA.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a 94 ZR 580 that’s kicking my butt. The thing runs great for few minutes. Maybe a mile or so. Then it Boggs and won’t go any faster than about 45. It acts like it’s not getting fuel but I’m having a hard time believing that. Both carbs have been cleaned twice. The float setting is ~.88”. The main jet is a 370 as best I can tell.
other than a good cleaning, nothing has been changed in the carbs. When I bought the sled the guy said it needed a primary clutch. I bought a new clutch and made sure the spring was correct (red) and that the weights were right (46.5 gram). I decided that as long as I was at it I might as well replace the buttons in the secondary as well. When I took it apart, the spring ( yellow) was in the fifth hole (tightest). Everything I found said the spring should be in the middle hole so that’s where I put it when it was reassembled. Alignment was checked when everything was reassembled and is correct.
My question is could moving the spring from the fifth hole to the third hole be causing my issue? Do the springs loose tension over time and the previous owner moved it to the fifth hole to compensate for it?
Neither cylinder appears to be lean, but could it be crank seals?
I’m totally out of ideas and need your input. TIA.
When it acts up, does it appear to run better with the choke on?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
370's are super fat on the mains, from my experience with my sled. What do your plugs and piston wash look like? One other thing that comes to mind is possible stator failure. Is it typical that the sled runs fine when cold, but when fully heat soaked it grounds out. It could be a problem with the high speed windings as the low speed side seems to be working fine. If the bog is a rich bog, then the problem is fueling and coarb set up, if the bog is from loss of spark, then the stator is a likely culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts