Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our shop has this 97 ZR500 FI in for a strange problem. When you press on the handlebars the machine dies but only on the right side. I unplugged all handlebar wires except the kill circuit and it still happens. I even press on the steering support to the right and it dies. I heard of the throttle switch having trouble so how can I unplug that and have it still run? I know a lot about Polaris, Yamahas and Sea Doos but not much about Arctics. Recently we replaced the battery and redid the ground from it but it didn't help. Help please!!!

PS
WHAT'S UP 3X????

JIMMERS

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jimmers,

You can definately try unhooking the throttle safety switch. Just unplug the two wires that are attached on your carbs. You will be able to run without them on your sled because I have the same one. It would be the first thing to try. Good luck!!!

Johnny5

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would say follow the steering shaft down to the fuel injection plug or somewhere there and see if its rubbing wires bare and shorting something! One little movement may trigger it!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took all wires from the bars and pulled them away from the steering post. Only wires hookes up were the 3 stop/throttle wires. They aren't touching anywhere. I can grab the steering support and move it and it will kill. I don't even touch the bars. I'll disconnect the wires tomorrow and see if it will still do it. I am thinking that the problem is over by the battery area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the problem. The handlebar support has plates mounted on it for stuff like the ecm and such. They were losing their ground because of corrosion and loose contact. So, I ran a new ground wire from battery to steering post and it is solved. Now I need a new stop switch because it came apart too. Thanks for the replies; they were helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts