Arctic Cat Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
So now to what I mentioned is we bought twoof these sleds. After the 1000 mile mark they seemed to change. My brother in law said he clocked 67 mph a few nights back on my wifes sled. Mine is yet to break 65. With that being said, before the 1000 mile mark 55 was difficult to obtain. Also the salesmen misrepresented the machines as being comparibile to an mxz 500 I had years ago. I would compare them to the skidoo safari that came out in the 90's. Also curious if anyone knows of any reputable shops that could tune the engine if I can get a turbo on it.
For MVG- There does seem to be a learning curve once you start posting here and quoting previous responses (you were quoting my response and negative review).

As you've seen my previous posts, I always felt like Cat misrepresented that sled. I was not a fan. My wife especially wasn't a fan. The ZR3000 was a pooch compared to my wife's MX-Z TNT 550f that it replaced. We dumped the zr3000 quickly and moved her up in horsepower. I seriously doubt that a performance shop would bother tuning that engine. It would take pretty significant fabrication to set it up with a turbo. There's just not enough 3000's out there that any performance shop would even consider developing a turbo kit- and for the money that you would spend, you could easily upgrade to a Cat 5000 or 6000.

Lastly, MVG- in regards to your comments about Guuda......

·
Super Moderator
8,576 Posts
I cleaned up some of the non topic discussion.
Thanks again Ziemann for the input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here.
My 74yo Dad bought a new ZR3000LXR in 2017. He and my 22yo son have put ~1800 miles on it since. I finally had a chance to spend some time with it this weekend on a solo trip.

--Noise and vibration. It's very similar in exhaust noise to their old Panther 660 at all RPMs, maybe just slightly louder but not much. Much quieter than the rest of our 600 2 strokes, obviously. I never noticed a drone or anything out of the ordinary. It does shake at idle. Headlight pod bounces quite a bit. Immediately disappears when the throttle is touched.
--Speed and acceleration. It takes off 0-40 pretty well. Top speed I saw 56 mph on some groomed trails in near 50* weather. His hits the rev limiter easily--it's not a power induced speed limit. As well as it takes off it could use clutch work and/or a gear change and still perform very well, probably better. What I miss vs. the two strokes is the mid-range acceleration 25/30 up to 45/50 or more. When you come to a rise in the trail and want to lift the skis over the top or sprint out of a fast corner. Slow speed corners it's fine.
--Handling. It does have more steer effort than our other sleds for such a light machine. Not sure if it's just the nature of the Procross chassis, although I'm sure he's never adjusted the suspension. His dealer is pretty good so I wouldn't doubt they at least set it up for his weight. Doesn't push or dart or bite too hard. Handles trail bumps and small jumps really, really well. I could just stand and glide over the braking bumps on the non-groomed sections at a decent clip. Does require more body english to rail faster corners than our other sleds of different makes (not a complaint, just an observations--it's really good). I like the seating position and the fact that there's no gap or dip at the front of the seat like the Doos. I did have my knees on the plastics a few times in corners but not too bad.

Bottom line for us is that my Dad loves it. And really that's what matters. He does say that when he wants to go fast he hops on Mom's 600 Ski Doo or mine. For me and my kids if we had one I'd put the effort into clutching first then look for gears if needed to keep them off the limiter and keep up on the superhighways better.
I actually like the chassis so much I'm considering a brand change and looking around at used 4000s and 6000s. As long as the steering effort can be reduced with suspension setup I'm on board.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts