Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
supposed to be a very good engine they have been building hot rod scooters for years, what do they say never let your friends see ya riding a fat girl or a moped ?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Hey Mike- Word of advice: Buyer Beware.

We're 600+ miles in to a 2017 ZR 3000 that I purchased for my wife, and she'll no longer ride it. It is by far the least refined model that I've seen come out of Thief River in quite a while.

The ZR3000 needs some work to really be a decent sled. Cat positioned the sled in the marketplace as being like a fan cooled class sled. Well, that is sort of true if your point of reference is a 340 class fan sled. The ZR3000 is REALLY an entry level sled only and has performance that is actually worse than the existing Suzuki fan. Cat is marketing it as being in the 65 HP class- this is not in any way accurate. Even Kymco who makes the engine doesn't promote it as being in that HP class in their own products.

The sled's drawbacks:

- At idle, the sled is very quiet. However, at trail speeds the drone is pretty bad- and loud.
- Vibration- At idle, they tend to really vibrate especially if they idle a bit low. You'll see the instrument cluster really vibrate at idle. If you put a pair of gloves or glasses on the "dash" by the handlebars, you notice how harsh it really is.
- Fuel economy- Even trail riding with my wife, we noticed that her ZR3000 uses about 25% more fuel that my ZR6000. Because the 3000 is being worked harder, it is using more fuel. Even worse, it has a smaller fuel tank. So, the range is pretty bad in comparison.
- Ride- The ride in general is pretty good. But the front suspension was set way too soft from the factory. Once we've fine tuned it, my wife is satisfied with the ride.
- Balance- There are no heat exchangers for cooling- just a radiator up front. This sled is noticeably nose heavy and unbalanced.
- Handling- No sway bar. So imagine a nose heavy sled with a front suspension that is too soft. And then no sway bar. THEN add significant (HARSH) engine braking with the 1" lug track. While riding and coming in to a corner, when backing off of the throttle, the engine braking causes the 1" lug track to break loose, then in the corner you see unexpected lean. If you are a 300# heavy rider like me, you are able to keep the sled planted, But for someone light like my wife, the handling is poor.
- Reliability- The Kymco 700 engine has an oil pressure sensor that can malfunction. This is a common issue on this sled. If it "thinks" there is low oil pressure, it shuts the engine down; Like it did to my wife while trying to cross a road. You often can restart the sled, but it will continue to malfunction. Once the pressure sensor begins to malfunction, it will get worse and worse until the sled is unridable. The temporary fix is to remove the access panel where the drain plug is located in the belly pan, and unplug the connector located just forward of the drain plug (to unplug the pressure sensor). This can be done on the trail if necessary as I found out.
- Top Speed- On hardpack, on a lake, the best my wife has seen on the speedometer is 57 mph. Me? 54 mph. In sticky snow conditions a couple of weeks ago, 47 mph was the fastest it would go. I went completely through the sled, and checked everything including clutching, and then called some contacts in Thief River. That performance is about as much as I can expect out of this engine. My wife traded in her '10 Ski-Doo MXZ TNT 550f, and the ZR 3000 isn't even close in performance. We rode with a buddy's BearCat (570 fan cooled)- and the ZR 3000 was actually slower. That level of performance is unacceptable at that price.

- Things we liked- The Ride (once adjusted). The new gauge actually works pretty good (It is nothing fancy, but I actually liked it). Warmth- your feet will never be cold. They must have done something with the headlights for 2017, because they actually work really well on this sled.

Unfortunately, I bought the wrong sled for my wife. This is really only her second season or riding, and this sled is not going to meet her needs. For the price, Cat should be embarrassed. I feel taken, and misled. Online reviews from places like Snowmobile.com, and others must have ridden a completely different snowmobile. To be frank, we would have been better off buying a 2017 Lynx 570 fan in the Twinspar chassis for the price.

The good news is that I also bought a 2017 ZR 6000 RS, and my wife has ridden it quite a bit (now that she refuses to ride the 3000). She loves my 6000- so now, all we have to do is take the loss on the 3000, and buy her a 6000. Unfortunately for me, it means that I am stuck with her 3000 for the rest of the season. :p

Anything to keep her happy......

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
When I typed my above info, I was unable to find the specs I was looking for on the Kymco web site. I verified- if you look at that engine on the Kymco web site, it states that it is 45 HP. Although it is possible that Cat has modified it for use in the ZR3000, I have to say that the sled feels very much like a 45 HP sled.

So, I made a couple of calls. My contacts at Cat state that the engine is unmodified, and dropped in to the ProCross chassis as they receive it from Kymco. There appears to be no difference between what Kymco installs in their own products and this engine in the ZR3000.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
wow is that a sad story if rental outfits put newbie's on them they will lose a lot of potential riders sorry you got taken i was thinking it would be cool for my wife she rides easy thanks for all the info

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow is right! I was just researching for maybe a year or two down the road after they have been out on the market. Got a lot more thinking to do now. Thanks for the input Z.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I was wondering about that engine, too bad they could have turbo'ed it but then thats too much money in it. A classic case of

"don't worry about it son, just staple the box shut and load it in the trailer"

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
If the ZR 3000 was a $6000 sled and positioned as a true entry level sled, I think it would have a market niche- again if it was positioned properly.

Cat really needs a replacement for the Suzuki 500 to bridge the gap between the ZR 3000 and 6000 in HP. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll introduce a C-tec 500 at Hay Days...... I can always dream.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I typed my above info, I was unable to find the specs I was looking for on the Kymco web site. I verified- if you look at that engine on the Kymco web site, it states that it is 45 HP. Although it is possible that Cat has modified it for use in the ZR3000, I have to say that the sled feels very much like a 45 HP sled.
-Fuel economy- Even trail riding with my wife, we noticed that her ZR3000 uses about 25% more fuel that my ZR6000. Because the 3000 is being worked harder, it is using more fuel. Even worse, it has a smaller fuel tank. So, the range is pretty bad in comparison.
Have you compared the Arctic Cat 700cc engine, BRP ace 600 engine?
I am, my friend BRP LYNX Xtrim 600 compared ace. We both realized that Kymco 700 is slightly more powerful than the 600 ace! Ace is classified as 60hp.
It is true that Kymco 700 consumes considerably more fuel than BRP 600 ace. The difference is about 3 to 4 Liters of 100Km.
I was expecting a smaller difference between the combustion engine for consumption ace.

It is true what you wrote driving noise, -I agree. Also, pay attention to vibration at idle.
Arctic cat could pay attention to driving noise. Loud noise is uncomfortable in the long driving trip.
Despite its small REMARKS, I have been pleased with my 3000 bearcat LT.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
If the ZR 3000 was a $6000 sled and positioned as a true entry level sled, I think it would have a market niche- again if it was positioned properly.

Cat really needs a replacement for the Suzuki 500 to bridge the gap between the ZR 3000 and 6000 in HP. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll introduce a C-tec 500 at Hay Days...... I can always dream.....
Cat needs just exactly what the 3000 fits in, a small 4 stroke. Spending development dollars on a useless two stroke (which is where a fanner or 500 would fit in) is a waist. They will be phasing them out or down in a few years anyway.

Textron has engines they can bring in from Germany, and probably will.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I cant speak for the ZR3000 chassis because I have a Bearcat 3000 that uses the ProUte chassis with the same engine.
But I can tell you that the 700 Kymco, that is also the same engine found in the Wildcat Trail, is a great engine. Its super quiet at low speeds, as strong torque through most of the rpm, starts easily even when cold and handles medium/heavy loads all day without issues.

My Bearcat will get to 55mph easily and then climb slowly to 60 mph if the conditions are good.
I ride it side by side with my 340 and its much faster, more like a 440 or 500 fanner. (Other than top end)
At faster speeds the engine sounds just like my Prowler HDX, very ATVish, which does produce drone.
I average 15 litres per 100km. Not the greatest, but good enough for me.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Never rode one myself, but a friend of mine test rode one (good size fella) and wasn't impressed at all with the 3k. No power. With the comments about the noise and vibration, exactly what is Cat doing inside it's noise/harshness lab? Seems that Cat has always had the loudest motors for eons. ALL mfrs need to offer sleds under 500-600 cc's. Don't have to be lake rockets, but offer some pep, good mpgs, ride, lil to no vibes etc.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Actually the 700 in a sled is very quiet. Not a racer by any means but will get up to 60-65 pretty easily. I dont know where you get that it is loud there Jagz

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cat needs just exactly what the 3000 fits in, a small 4 stroke. Spending development dollars on a useless two stroke (which is where a fanner or 500 would fit in) is a waist. They will be phasing them out or down in a few years anyway.

They are not going to get rid of the two strokes since they just started producing there own 800 and have the most reliable 600 on the market. Cats engine facility is only going to grow with both 2 and 4 stroke engines in the future.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Yeah a "useless" two stroke 500 that dealers liked selling, and were actually pissed at cat for dropping. The 500 bridged the gap between entry level sled to the next jump up, being a 600. And the Suzuki 500 is a great package, you might not like the 500, and think it's useless.

However everyone that has thrown a leg over my 4000RR and even my 2011 sno pro 500 thought it was great sled with plenty of power. A little clutching work here and there, and they are more then suitable for anything you can throw at it.

If I was in the market for an "entry level" sled for a younger family member, I'm pulling the trigger on something used, and you bet it will be a 500 Suzuki two stroke.

65hp to a jump of 125 makes no sense

1 - 20 of 78 Posts