Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my wife a 98 zl 440 and just got a chance to ride it. First I have to say how impressed I am with the power this little 440 has. On the hardpack were it can get traction it will lift the skis and really go. The problem I am having is if you give it too much throttle going around a corner it will lift one ski so bad I think it would roll over if you don't let off. Is there anything I can adjust to help this. I hate to say it but the way it handles I feel more comfortable on my old Indy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think if you want to adjust the amount of pressure on your skis, you need to play around with the limiter straps. Maybe try loosening them or tightening them up and see how this affects the turning performance.

If I'm wrong, I"m sure someone will let us both know!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think you can adjust this to some extent by turning the cam to soften the the rear suspension torsion springs a bit. Softer should allow more wieght transfer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1997EXT580 @ Feb 7 2007, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think if you want to adjust the amount of pressure on your skis, you need to play around with the limiter straps. Maybe try loosening them or tightening them up and see how this affects the turning performance.

If I'm wrong, I"m sure someone will let us both know!![/b]
When I had my new Doo, I read the owners manual, that seems like the thing to do. Tighten will put more pressure and loosening will take off pressure (more weight transfer to rear). But those REVs are tippy to begin with, I can't imagine yours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been told that if the front track shock spring has been turned up too tight, it will cause the sled to want to roll. I don't know if it is true but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Increase rear torsion spring preload, reduce from track coil spring preload, shorten front arm limiter straps. At the front end you can decrease front spring preload. On hard cornering you may want to lean to the inside, and forward.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Shocks n springs are soggy on em, yes even when new...............updating to ZR valved shocks will help / same goes for the springs / I'm seeing a huge difference in my '02 ZR since installing the largest front sway bar, money well spent.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tighten the limiter straps up, have 3/4" of thread showing, you probably have no thread showing now.

On the front shocks, tighten the spring, so you have about 1"-1.5" of thread showing on the bottom of the shock mounts.

The sled should handle like its on rails after that !

·
Registered
732 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr sled head @ Feb 7 2007, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Shocks n springs are soggy on em, yes even when new...............updating to ZR valved shocks will help / same goes for the springs / I'm seeing a huge difference in my '02 ZR since installing the largest front sway bar, money well spent.[/b]
where did you get this swaybar from? i know CPC makes a stiffer one.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mcc-bri @ Feb 9 2007, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr sled head @ Feb 7 2007, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shocks n springs are soggy on em, yes even when new...............updating to ZR valved shocks will help / same goes for the springs / I'm seeing a huge difference in my '02 ZR since installing the largest front sway bar, money well spent.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

It is a Cat part, so you'd have to go to your Cat dealer for that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice. It's been too cold to do anything but I'm hopeing to get out this weekend and start trying things. I'll let you know what works the best.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mcc-bri @ Feb 9 2007, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr sled head @ Feb 7 2007, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
Cheaper option is square aluminum (5/8"). Cost me about $10CDN for my swaybar. Definitely more stability on trails over the stock swaybar. Maybe not the best option for powder carving etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts