Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 Cat 500 ZL EFI and am having some suggish issues that I hope someone can direct me in the right direction. After it's warmed up and I throttle all the way down, the sled doesn't take right off...it slowly accelerates for about 3-4 seconds then takes off like a rocket. The sled runs great, starts on the first pull, idles fine but it just won't take off. I have a buddy that has a 440 ZL EFI and his takes off like a raped ape. From a stand he's a good 50 feet in front of me before mine takes off. Is this an ECU issue, throttle issue, fuel pump, or timing? I'm just not sure where to start...and I hope it's not an ECU problem (expensive). Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Thank you for your time and help

bendy

·
Registered
978 Posts
It almost sounds like a clutch issue. Take some time and check out both of your clutches and belt. Springs, clutch bushings, weight bushings, alignment.

How many miles since you serviced the clutches?

What RPM are you engaging at? Topping out at?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Scrat,
thanks for the reply ...I should have been more concise on my description...I don't think it's a clutch problem because when I throttle hard, the engine doesn't accelerate or rev up for a few seconds. There's a lag but once the engine starts to rev, then it takes off like that "raped ape" I mentioned. But you did mention having the clutch serviced which I never had..I've had the sled for a little over 2 years so I guess getting the clutch serviced would be a good idea.

anyway, thanks again for the reply

bendy

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Have you seen this link?? -----------> LINK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts