Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal. Yesterday i got a 1999 zl 600 efi, it was just rebuilt and i can't get it to run decent. It starts up first pull and it idles decent with the odd stutter/roughness and if i try to get on it and go, it will go to 5k and anywhere after 5k it is like i shut it off, once it gets below 5k it starts back up. Now i have ohmed out all the important electrical components and everything is in spec. There are two trouble codes, 3 and 6. Now, this is my first efi sled so i hope im missing some easy fix cause we are supposed to be getting 20-30 cm of fresh powder tomorrow! Help me out guys!!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I dont think there is a code 6 on tht sled. 1 is the tps, 2 is water temp sensor, 3 is intake air sensor, 4 is barometric prssure sensor, and 5 is injector failure. I am guessing you have a lot of water in the fuel and that is your issue. Drain the tank completely and refill with fresh gas and try it. Did you disable the tss?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
it wont help as long as it is throwing the code 3 it is in limp mode u need to get a temp sespor and plug it in and if there is no air box just tie the sensor up some were it has to see the reading to run right

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i can just pull the sensor out of the airbox and tie it up out of harms way? Because i really dont want to put the air box back in.

·
Registered
136 Posts
just curious...why don't you want to put the air box back in? on the efi sleds it is kinda important. it keeps powder snow out of the engine (well as much as it can), it tunes the intake pulses into the throttle bodies similar to the way the exaust pipe tunes the charge out of the motor,it provides an actual intake air temp reading to the ecu via the charge temp sensor which is critical to injector pulse width calculations. the only thing removing the air box accomplishes is making the engine run worse, burn more fuel, and make more noise.I dunno am i missing the reason you don't want it?I dunno

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check88- the reason i don't want to put the airbox back on it mostly because i don't have tb to airbox boots and i don't want to drop more money into this thing without seeing if its worth it first. It will go back on in due time.

I went outside, pulled the sensor out of the airbox plugged it into the sled, it got rid of the code and it runs past 5k now!! I let it idle (2300) for 15 mins and i am including a pic of a spark plug( they are both identical) does it look ok?? Now all i have to do is weld up a crack in the bearing support plate for the clutch and im ready to go for a ride to find out how this thing really runs!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
plugs will always look good at idle check the the first few miles on the trail to be sure if u find its running a bit lean because of no air box. Unplug the ethanol wire up by the ecu this will add 3 % fuel acrost the board and should help get u home with out burning it down

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thank you very much i will go for a ride as soon as i get this plate fixed. It's the bearing support plate for the secondary clutch, is it a weld able metal?

·
Registered
340 Posts
just curious...why don't you want to put the air box back in? on the efi sleds it is kinda important. it keeps powder snow out of the engine (well as much as it can), it tunes the intake pulses into the throttle bodies similar to the way the exaust pipe tunes the charge out of the motor,it provides an actual intake air temp reading to the ecu via the charge temp sensor which is critical to injector pulse width calculations. the only thing removing the air box accomplishes is making the engine run worse, burn more fuel, and make more noise.I dunno am i missing the reason you don't want it?I dunno
I tried pulling out the insert in my 01 600 EFI airbox and it ran like crap. Unless you have a tuner to compensate for the change in the airbox it will not run right.

·
Registered
136 Posts
okay, i see what your doing. are you running some uni filters or something similar? you need to be careful you don't ingest a bunch of snow into the motor. the water will wash the oil of the cylinder walls and there goes your new motor. maybe you can rig up some boots for testing purposes out of some flexible material or some pvc tubing and some duct tape? i mean just for testing, you wouldn't want to leave it like that. on my 99 zl there wasn't an ethanol wire to unplug, so i don't know if yours would have it or not. if testing it out proves it runs well i would just look around for some boots and throw the stock airbox back in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i am running uni air filters and there is an ethanol wire on this one. Im still trying to patch up this bearing plate because i wanna ride tomorrow and i don't have time or the funds to get a new one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts