Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Zl waterpump seal must have taken a crap. I started it up today and noticed the smoke smelled kinda sweet. So I pulled the plugs and they had coolant on em. I checked compression 125 on both sides. Popped the head the pto side was washed clean but there is no scuffing of any kind on either jug or piston. Is there any way to ensure the crank is cleaned out without pulling jugs? I'd rather not put a new gasket set on it if I can get away without one.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I doubt it is your waterpump seal. It sounds like a base gasket. Has the motor been down before? If the mechanical seal goes on the waterpump it should leak out of the weep hole before it gets into the case. How did the inner o-ring look when you took it apart? I would replace those as well.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt it is your waterpump seal. It sounds like a base gasket. Has the motor been down before? If the mechanical seal goes on the waterpump it should leak out of the weep hole before it gets into the case. How did the inner o-ring look when you took it apart? I would replace those as well.
I did a total rebuild about 450 miles ago. Everything except water pump. All of the o-rings look fine. It may have been coming out the weep hole I found a spot of coolant on the floor.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If there is antifreeze on the piston I would not worry about the waterpump. What kind of gaskets did you use? I would still bet your base gasket went.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there is antifreeze on the piston I would not worry about the waterpump. What kind of gaskets did you use? I would still bet your base gasket went.
I can't remember for sure it was last year. There is antifreeze on both pistons not just one. There just seems to be more on one than the other. I just can't fathom both base gaskets crapping out at the same time without it having been overheated.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The oil seal should be back there before it can get to the crankcase also. If it is going in at that point I would suspect the pump shaft bearing has gone as well.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil seal should be back there before it can get to the crankcase also. If it is going in at that point I would suspect the pump shaft bearing has gone as well.
Well you got me all paranoid now. Im gonna stick a different pump on it and put a new gasket set on it too. Im starting to think this sled is cursed...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It is not that big a deal. Buy oem cat gaskets and torque it to spec and I bet your issue goes away. I have 2 older issue sleds that by now I could have bought a new 600 indy. Those are the kind that drive you nuts.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is not that big a deal. Buy oem cat gaskets and torque it to spec and I bet your issue goes away. I have 2 older issue sleds that by now I could have bought a new 600 indy. Those are the kind that drive you nuts.
I popped the jugs off today, both base gaskets WERE good. There was antifreeze in the case. Stupid Sled!
I with ya on that driving ya nuts. I'm gonna send it down the road after I get it fixed. Its taken too much of my time...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The problem with getting it fixed and selling is that yu pick up another and bam, you are right back where you started. Believe me, I have 7 of the dirty mothers out here and just ordered a ac specialty tool this morning. On a bright side. All my buddys have gone cat so I can fix theirs for nothing and gain a lot more useless knowledge. At one time this winter ther was 16 sleds out here and 12 needed work.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with getting it fixed and selling is that yu pick up another and bam, you are right back where you started. Believe me, I have 7 of the dirty mothers out here and just ordered a ac specialty tool this morning. On a bright side. All my buddys have gone cat so I can fix theirs for nothing and gain a lot more useless knowledge. At one time this winter ther was 16 sleds out here and 12 needed work.
The waterpump seal was definitely shot. It was in 2 pieces. The shaft it rusted to H**L. I shouldn't have listened to you :lol: Not I gotta spend extra on a top end gasket set.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You are going to have to wiggle that shaft and see if the bearing is shot. It is also going to have to have a oil seal that sits in behind the mechanical seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts