Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 99 ZL 500 carb out for the year, I put a quarter of a tank of gas throught it now (topped up with new gas) and i also put 8 kms on it. It for some reason idles down and sometimes shuts off when i first start it and its topping out at 30-35mph in the fields.

What should i do? Clean the carbs? Check the belt?

Ive had it doing 90-95 so I know somethings definatly going on, any help is well appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
at least at 35mph you can still pass the polaris guys :D

Seriously
Could be several things, clutch carbs, belt, stator, throttle overide switch. As said above I would start with the carbs. It's good to go through them at the beginning of the season even if the sled seems to run fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Throttle override has been looked after (cut and removed), as for belt I have a brand new one (just waiting for snow to put it on), and I will clean the carbs this weekend.

Anymore suggestions, Its sometimes been making a weird clunking/knocking noise, feels like belt but theres no burnt down marks anywhere in the belt,so im not too sure, and my clutches have always been great.

Anymore suggestions appreciated thanks

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
How much mileage on the clutch? My same sled seems to eat up primary clutch weight bushings every 1000 miles or so. Makes the weights tilt sideways and rub on the spider.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've heard clutch, carbs and belt (would be very obviously worn or oil on sheaves for just belt)...

I would definetely start with the carbs (needle and seats, jets, clean and blow everything out) especially if it won't idle, that isn't typically a clutch issue). If you are hearing a clunking noise, I would double check your chaincase for proper chain tensionand fluid level. Also check your jackshaft and drive shaft bearings for play. Check to make sure you're not missing any of the suspension bolts or that you don't have something binding in the skid, dragging or locking up the track somehow.

It's probably just the carbs, but clunking isn't a normal sound on a good running sled (unless you have a helmet in your saddle bag and you like riding moguls :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seems weird but the more i drive it the faster it keeps going, just guessing but probably bad gas from the summer. So ill check back after this weekend, i should be putting 30-40 miles on it this weekend. And it has 2500 miles on it

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Get a magic marker and draw lines from the center of the clutch out on the sheeves. Do this to both clutches. After this run the sled and check to see how much of the lines are left. This will tell you how well your clutches are shifting out. You should barely see any marks at all if its shifting out properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts