Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 ZL500 carb;

1. I took it in for a routine carb cleaning (I usually do my own work but was in a time crunch) in late Feb. 06 before a trip. No problems, just thought it should have some maintenance.

2. After about 350 miles after the carb cleaning, I was going down a trail about 60 and it felt like somebody hit the kill switch. It started back up but would only bog down..had to leave it on the trail overnight. Came back the next morning and it fired right up. Took it back to the mechanic that cleaned the carbs and had him check it out, because I though maybe the screwed sometime up, cause I also had terrible gas mileage after the cleaning and he said I had water in the float bowls. I never did get a chance for another ride.

3. Skip to last weekend...Went about 30 miles and it started spitting and spuddering and backfiring BAD!! Unhooked the throttle safety switch and the TPS..still had the problem, looked for loose/rubbed wiring, found none. After limping it for about 2 miles...it started running great, for about 40 miles....stopped for lunch and went for another 2 miles and then it started again...then ran fine...then spuddered a few more time throughout the rest of the day.

Any guesses....I'm more nervous to take this into a dealer to change a bunch of non-needed parts than I was to have my knee replaced!! LOL

My guess is a stator.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6500...just broke in!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
are you 100% confident the mechanic who cleaned your carbs didn't mess up the floats?
before you spend $$ on a new stator make sure carbs are set correctly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine did the same thing this past weekend and the side of the machine is BLACK please tell me it is the stator!

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey pelski how many miles were on your motor when you re-did it. or did you? i have 3500 miles on my zl 500 and no problems yet(knock on wood)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has never been opened up...cleaned the carbs and rebuilt the clutches, just put drive/jack shaft bearings in...it really didn't need them, and bearings, shocks and fat man springs in the suspension.....compression is at 125 lbs both sides!!

goes down the trail (when running LOL) like its on rails!!

gonna pick up a 2001 ZL550 this weekend, $1500.00!

I was REAL close to buying a new sled this year...but held off cause of the snow conditions...!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sled has a mind of its own...ran it 40 miles last night...no problems!!

The only thing I did..was change a fuel filter, gas and check all wiring...

I still don't trust it for a UP trip yet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts