Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 Zl 440 will Idle fine but once you touch the throttle it dies. I was thinking coil it ran fine. and then started doing this but I pulled the plug wire off of the pto side while idleing it doesn't change, but pull the mag side off and it will die. sound like a coil to anyone else or any Ideas. thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
.......my friend......i believe you have a fouled plug. lol. on a serious note, change the plug and see if its better if not get a current tester and see if the plug wire i getting any current. if it is maybe your not getting gas or something, im not sure. But if you have no current its probably your coil

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRlover @ Feb 3 2007, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
.......my friend......i believe you have a fouled plug. lol. on a serious note, change the plug and see if its better if not get a current tester and see if the plug wire i getting any current. if it is maybe your not getting gas or something, im not sure. But if you have no current its probably your coil[/b]

changed the plugs I use BR9EYA plugs and it didn't help and the plugs are wet.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Have you checked compression? Or just try swapping leads between cylinders and see if symptom moves. More likely wire or endcap then coil I would think, if the problem is electrical. Make sure it's not the TSS either :)

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Feb 3 2007, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have you checked compression? Or just try swapping leads between cylinders and see if symptom moves. More likely wire or endcap then coil I would think, if the problem is electrical. Make sure it's not the TSS either :)[/b]

no I didn't check the comp. other than the old thumb test, it was ok that way, but haven't used a comp. tester yet and no I didn't switch leads yet just plugs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was having the same problem today with my ZL.

Was running fine at idle, but would stall when the throttle was pushed.

It turned out to be a stuck float needle inside the carb.

One carb was getting fuel, and the other was not.

Pull the carbs, and take them apart to verify they are clean, and the float needle is free moving.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had to replace the fuel pump took care of everything runs like a top again. it wasn't leaking but I notice alot of air in the lines so it must have been sucking air somewhere. now all we need is SNOW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts