Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my wifes 2004 z370 she uses for local trail riding started riding rough, a quick check of the rear suspesion indicated the rear shock was bad. IE Push down hard on the rear bumper and let go and it would bounce back up and even lift the track a bit.

I assumed it was the rear shock that went bad which was concerning to me since I had all the shocks replaced just over a year ago (warranty gone) so I decided to order and repalce the shock myself, got an Ryder 8200 gas shock as an upgrade.

I replaced it and low and behold the rear is still bouncy, its as if the rear shock is doing nothing. Watching it while I push down and it doesnt appear to activate the shock at all, it stays compressed about 2 inchs of the shaft sticking out of the shock body.

Any suggestions? NOTE when I got working on it I also discovered the middle rear idler wheel bearing went and it was flopping on the rear track, IE another item to fix. Just saying in case there is any way this is causing the rear suspension to not function.

So any thoughs on why the rear suspension is not working the rear shock?

Thanks ~ Phil

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gas shocks are dampened so they require action to function properly. Try bouncing it twice quickly and see if that slows the action. If it still does nothing, I would suspect a broken link allowing the suspension to travel independently from the shock.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gas shocks are dampened so they require action to function properly. Try bouncing it twice quickly and see if that slows the action. If it still does nothing, I would suspect a broken link allowing the suspension to travel independently from the shock.
Hi thanks, we gave that a try and the shock does not load up, when watching what happens when the back is pushed down, the shock shaft does not go in our out of the shock body, it stays at the same lenght and it looks like in the front where the shock mounts the whole mount moves forward, Im assuming something down there is broken. So as you push down the front shock just moves forward, appears to be pivoting around something. I could take a video of it if that would make it easier to diagnose for someone who knows what they are looking at.

~ Phil

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK here is a video but it was dark and didnt have good lighting, wait a few seconds into it and you can see the the rod in the shock not moving in and out as the rear of teh sled is pushed down. Also tried to show the front of the shock and its just moving forward and backward. I think because the whole shock is moving that is its not functioning, IE something is broken in the front mount.

Thanks ~ Phil

·
Registered
79 Posts
what setting do you have your springs at? How many miles do you have on the springs? Looks as if your springs are absorbing the impact and not letting your shock work imo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can't see it very well on the video but I would say you have a problem with the rear link. You have a pivot where you shouldn't. That rear portion needs to "scissor".

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
It looks like the front mount of the rear shock is flipped down toward the track. It is supposed to be up away from the track. See picture attached

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like the front mount of the rear shock is flipped down toward the track. It is supposed to be up away from the track. See picture attached
Hi John that is how the front mount looks, it is down and when I compress the rear end it just pivots forward. Are you saying it swivels and it can be swiveled back up to the correct position?

IE If I take the shock off I will be able to just rotate the mount up to the correct position and that nothing is broken?

THanks for the help, great picture.

~ Phil

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Just unbolt rear of skid from tunnel and lower it, take spring tension off, rotate lower shock mount up and reassemble.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just unbolt rear of skid from tunnel and lower it, take spring tension off, rotate lower shock mount up and reassemble.
Hi Seanod actually it looks like I can remove the mount and swing it around and leave the large bar with the idler wheels and front mount on alone. I also need to remove the rods that go between the top shock mount and the rear shock mount and put on top of the cross bar that holds the front shock mount.

The problem I see is these two bars that mount on the sides of the shock goes between the two mount points, with these ridged rods connecting the two end points where the shock goes I do not see how the shock can move in and out, doesnt make sense.

I dont ride this sled, Im guessing its been like this since I had the sled shop install the shocks a couple of seasons ago. We didnt get much snow last year so she didnt notice i guess.

Anyone have any pictures that shows how these ridge rods mount on the bottom? The OEM Parts diagram shows its mounting at the top.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
The mount being positioned down is a common problem on Arctic Cats. I have bought 3 sleds that were like that when I purchased them. You have to pay attention to that when re-installing the skid. The picture I posted is right from the service manual. The mount can't be rotated up with the skid mounted in the tunnel and the shock and link rods attached. If you remove the link rods you could rotate it around, but trust me when I say it is easier to unhook the skid at the rear and rotate it. Once rotated you may have to put a ratchet strap on the skid to align the holes to the tunnel, but it is easier than trying to unhook all that stuff in the middle of the skid. I don't think you have to take the pressure off of the springs though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I compared the shock mounts to a skidonkey 380 which its fairly similiar and noticed that the top mount of the rear shock is on TOP of the bar with the springs on it, mine was mounted below besides the mounts for the rods. I looked at the OEM drawing and it shows the top mount for the shock on top. I just put it together and the shock is moving and damping the motion. The bottom mount is the same (below) and not like the picture John posted. It may not be 100% correct but its snowing here FINALLY and we are gonna go riding today. Ill revisit the entire mounting issue this off season, there are several idlers that need replacing so Ill pull the skid and fix.

Thanks ~ Phil

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mount being positioned down is a common problem on Arctic Cats. I have bought 3 sleds that were like that when I purchased them. You have to pay attention to that when re-installing the skid. The picture I posted is right from the service manual. The mount can't be rotated up with the skid mounted in the tunnel and the shock and link rods attached. If you remove the link rods you could rotate it around, but trust me when I say it is easier to unhook the skid at the rear and rotate it. Once rotated you may have to put a ratchet strap on the skid to align the holes to the tunnel, but it is easier than trying to unhook all that stuff in the middle of the skid. I don't think you have to take the pressure off of the springs though.
Thanks John, this summer Ill be pulling the skid and will revisit the mount issue. Im gonna start looking at other AC Zs when I see them to see how theirs is installed!

Off to go riding while there is snow!

~ Phil

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks John, this summer Ill be pulling the skid and will revisit the mount issue. Im gonna start looking at other AC Zs when I see them to see how theirs is installed!

Off to go riding while there is snow!

~ Phil
Hey Phil, if you don't fix the lower shock mount and ride it as it is, pick out a new track you like, new rear shock you like, and new arms that mount beside the rear shock. Expensive ride.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The flipped down shock mount will chew up the drive lugs on the inside of the track and ruin it. Fix it now.
Hi guys well the sled has been like this since we've owned it, 5 years now, not thinking a few more rides would make a difference.

Anyhow karma must have been against us as today the rear axle on the sled broke, both rear idlers pulled away outside of the track and it would not go another inch. Luckly it happend at a road crossing, came back with the trailer to pick it up.

Thats if for the sled for the season probably, its either getting fixed to sell or gonna extend it and put a new track on and make it better in deep snow, it does amazing well but still gets stuck, its a great light sled but needs more floatation.

THanks

~ Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts