Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some info on a Z370 . We have a 2005 Z370 and we cant keep a crank into it . The first winter the crank broke off on the clutch side ,right beside the connecting rod. The dealer put a new engine into it and the only thing they used was the original carbs and clutch. One year later the same thing again, this time they rebuilt the crank. It was broken in the same spot<clutch side beside connecting rod>. This time we only got 5 weeks out off it before it broke the same spot again. The dealer is giving us the run around and blaming my son who was (13-14 years old) for jumping drifts to cause the damage. THANKS in advance for any info off what may cause this problem and what i should do about it.. THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the clutch is way off on its balance and is putting a tremendous vibration in the end of the crank until it breaks it off. I would stand there while the dealer checked the balance and then make him give you a brand new engine and clutch if it is way out of balance, which I would bet it is. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
yep i would have to agree, balancing issue a gram or two is all it takes, and this can bbe done simple by taking the clutch apart and not putting the cover back on in the right orientation that it came off, most of them have marks on them , i usuallt stamp them or mark it somehow before you take it apart.
take alook at the clutch, you are looking for a dot that is cast into the cover, it should line up with a small protrusion/mark on the basket.

dan

·
Registered
156 Posts
My buddy has an 04' 370, 2000 miles on it, the crankshaft failed. The rebuilder bored out one of the oiling holes, said it is common in this engine for that bearing not to get enough oil.

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MIDMICHIGAN440 @ Feb 27 2007, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would be willing to bet that the clutch is way off on its balance and is putting a tremendous vibration in the end of the crank until it breaks it off. I would stand there while the dealer checked the balance and then make him give you a brand new engine and clutch if it is way out of balance, which I would bet it is. Good luck.[/b]
I tend to agree with MM440; an out of balance condition can cause a "wild harmonic" to shatter parts on the opposite end of the crank.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My buddy has an '04 Z-370 that lost a crank at 550 miles and then again 10 miles after the rebuild. First rebuild was just a crank rebuild and the second was a new engine straight from Cat. Found out from our dealer that the cases were not line bored and the crank bearing journals were out of line. Cat wanted the whole motor back to examine it.

Z-Rider

1 - 6 of 6 Posts