Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
If you own a Z1 1100 Turbo you should read this. Hopefully, I can save someone the aggravation, time and money that I went through this past season. I’ll try to keep this story as specific as possible.
In the spring of 2012 as I was doing my annual maintenance (spring lay-up) I noticed that my coolant line was free floating along the length of my side panel (between the coolant fill neck and the coolant tank. There was also a 6” piece of plastic conduit over that line. Instead of having this line floating, I decided to secure it by tying it off along the aluminum frame. “Big Mistake” While between Munising, MI and Grand Marais, MI I began to smell antifreeze. Before opening my right side panel I saw antifreeze all over my right ski. After removing my hood, I noticed the coolant line and the 6” piece of plastic conduit was melted against the frame. All I could do at that point was to cut off the melted hose and bend/tie off the coolant line so I wouldn’t lose any more antifreeze. Thankfully, I was able to make it back to Munising. This all happened on a Sunday, therefore all I could find was a hardware store open at the time. I installed a 3/8” piece of copper tubing along with a couple clamps and (I thought I burped the system). The following morning I got about 1000’ away from the motel and the sled began to overheat. The heat exchanger was cold, I knew I was in trouble. I trailered the sled to the local AC dealer in which they refilled the coolant system and burped it. Ahhhhh…….. All ok…. Wrong! I rode for approx. 25 miles and yes you guessed it….. it began to overheat. I was close to the AC dealer, therefore I took it back. They burped it again, I rode for approx. 40 miles and guess what? Well now it’s time to head back home in lower Michigan with $80.00 less in my pocket from repairs and NO fix.
I took it to my local AC dealer in which I asked them to put everything back to stock (replacing the copper with coolant line) and to go ahead and change out the thermostat. $298.00 later and with the season over, I have my sled back. All I can do at this point is “hope” that all is ok.
Now, I’m sure you’re wondering what caused that line to melt… The frame got extremely hot from the heat off the exhaust assembly which is near the frame, (not against it). The hose with the conduit was tied off on the opposite side of the frame.
I couldn’t believe it! The frame got so hot, you couldn’t even touch it. I would have never thought this would happen, but it did.
Who do I blame?? AC for not doing the proper job in the first place. Upon looking at the parts schematic
http://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com/oemparts/a/arc/5012c955f8700219481d5864/cooling-assembly
the factory completely _____ up! Take a look at part numbers 13 & 14. Part number 13 is a 3’ (not a 6” piece of conduit to cover the whole line. Part number 14 is a piece of foil tape (a whole $2.95 worth) which was “never there.” This tape holds the coolant line against the side panel. This keeps the coolant line from free floating and off the frame. Thanks Arctic Cat!! I’m out $378.00 in repairs alone! Now where would you lay the blame??
I only blame myself for not looking up the schematic in the first place, but then again after spending $12,000.00 on a new sled I shouldn’t have to.
I sincerely hope I saved someone from all the hell I went through. Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
760 Posts
I no there has been alot of topic's on the coolant reserve tanks and going with bigger lines and breather is the way to go and i did this beginning of this last season with no troubles but i going to speedwerx reserve tank which is higher then the motor to me is what AC should have went to right from that get go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts