Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed new switch on handgrip heaters and a new heating element on thumb throttle after riding and freezing my hands for a season. Trouble-shot the problem through info on this forum regarding correct resistence etc using my multi meter. Got one short ride with heaters working, then they quit and the headlights and tail lamp quit (they just glimmer now and go out altogether if I switch on the hand grip heaters or the thumb warmer) Thought it might be the battery ( 4 years old) so installed new one. The starter rolls very fast so battery good and connections good. Anybody have a suggestion what to check for?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Could be shorted wiring somewhere. Make sure your wiring and new elements aren't the issue. You can unplug them to troubleshoot.
Also look around recoil rope area for the rope cutting through anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like they said, it can be, and probably is a short somewhere. My thumb warmer was broken when I bought my sled, and I tried to solder it back together, but I had no clue how it was supposed to be. It did the same thing to the headlights, so there was a short in it. Easy way to test is to unplug things one by one and see if the lights go back to normal. When they do, the one that you just unplugged has something wrong with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my 01 800. I completely agree with Ryanb as far as diagnostics. What i found however on mine was that one of the wires on the grip heater (middle wire on mine) had seemed to have worn through the piece of plastic the protects the soldered wire from grounding to the handlebars. this created the short and i found this by just leaving the sled running and pulled connections apart until my headlight came back. for me the fix was simple. i plugged the heater back in, pulled the grip off, wiggled the suspect wires around until i found the culprit. from there i simply pulled the wire up enough to place a piece of electrical tape under it then wrapped tape around all three to keep them from moving, re install grip and good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the good advice. Problem found as burnt wiring in the group of wires going down the the steering post right below handlebars. Frayed wiring wasn't a problem until I replaced the grip on/off switch and the thumb warmer element. When I switched these on and current flowed for the first time in a year to the heaters, that's when the proverbial hit the fan and shorted out the lights and the heaters. All patched up and eberything working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts