Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got my zr 500 and z 440 the other day emptied out all the old gas, cleanded the carbs, put fresh gas in, new oil, and when i start the 500 up it will idle but it either bogs at about 3500 rpms or goes, if it goes it bogs at 3500 rpms after you stop. the 440 kind of has the same problem. It starts fine idles ok but as soon as the clutch engages it wants to bog and almost kill. What do I do?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
You should Take the carbs off and give them a THOUROUGH going throu. Make sure you check your jets. Also while there off check your reeds and air box and make sure there are no obstructions i.e. mouse nests and stuff. Wouldn't hurt to check the exhaust for blockage too. Make sure your clutches move freely and the weights in the primary are not worn and the springs are ok. On the secondary check the rollers odn't have flat spots or worn roller pins , too loose and wobbly not good. New plugs.
Look up Stator post and click on Blaine's signature for the how to on check your stator with an ohm meter. That should keep you busy for an hour or so lol !!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok on the 500 there is nothing in the air box. When i cleaned the carbs i took them completely apart, so i cleaned the jets and everything. My clutch wieghts are kind of wobbly. There is nothing in the exhaust. Are broken reeds a common problem on this model sled. i dont think they would break yet it only has 3600 miles on it. If they aren't know to break i dont want to go to the trouble of looking at them because i have never done it before. So do you think its the clutch weights or the stator?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think it just must have been the bad gas left in the lines because it did it once more, but i put the choke on for a couple seconds and its been running good since. Thanks for all your advice though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts